In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading Dies for. 225 Winchester ?

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in Ask the Experts
I finally found 2 boxes of .225 Winchester ammo at a gun show for my Savage 340V. Who sells dies for this caliber?

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my best luck in buying loading dies for little used cartridges from Graf & Son, www.grafs.com.

The customer service techs you talk to on the phone are knowledgeable "Gun People", not brain dead order takers from India. They will give you the skinny on the various makers dies, for the little used calibers.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I checked out the link you provided. They had the dies I need in stock as well as new unprimed brass. Their prices are very reasonable as well. Just what I needed! Thank you!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I mounted an older Weaver 3-9 variable scope with Adj. Objective on the .225 Savage. Bore sighted it by eyeball method and first shot was perfect for windage but about 4 inches low. Two shots later it is cutting the X. Shooting at 80 yards off the car roof I could easily keep all shots under 1 1/2 inches. I think it will do 1 inch groups at 100 yards shooting off sandbags. The ammo is the same length as .22-250 ammo and the .22-250 is slightly larger in diameter. I had a little trouble with feeding from the magazine, but otherwise I'm extremely pleased with both the rifle and the caliber.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to keep the Savage 340V's off the range as much as possible, but they all shoot so well I can't help myself. I've got 3 now (1 Like New, 1 98%er and a slightly overbored one that I shoot alot. Even the semi-beat one will group around 1". They all seem to like the Hornady 53 gr. HP. 4064 has worked well, but of all I've tried the best seems to be BL-C2. Not sure why this is, but it jsut works. The Winnie 70's I have in that caliber all like 4064 with 60 grain Sierras. One of those is a scary accurate factory gun ( heavy barrel varmont gun w/fixed 10x) That will go around a half inch if I do my part.

I got my NOS Pacific Precisions off Fleabay for $30 with shipping 2 years ago. Enjoy the Savage...I know I like mine!! So much so I have at least one of every caliber in the 340 line. Great little shooters that were some of the last of a breed.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the load suggestions. I'll try loading some as soon as I get my dies. I fixed the magazine problem. My 30/30 mag worked perfectly in my .225 so I bent the mag lips to that shape and now it feeds great. Over time I believe the magazine sides spread out a little and causes the problem I had.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting that the 340 Savages shoot so well. I only recall they came in 30-30 and 22 Hornet for about $37.50 as a low end gun.
    Apparently Savage has known how to make accurate barrels for a long time and only in recent times has it been widely publicized.
    I recently got a .225 Winchester 670 and will try some of these loads.