In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mauser actions

bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
Is the bolt face and receiver of a new, not mil surplus, mauser action large enough for a WSM case with out any major modifications. Can some1 please help me with this answer. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What needs to be done to get my Mauser type action from my Remmy 798's to be smooth and accurate without costing me a whole lot of money? I have one chambered in 30-06 & 7mm Rem Mag that I recently turned in for warranty cause the chambers needed to be honed and lapped, but my question is this a good action that has some good potential with some minor work done to it, or is it not worth it and try to get my money back, since these problems occurred fresh out of the box? I'm now second guessing the condition when they are returned to me! Thank you!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I read ads for custom rifles built on mauser actions. Not knowing anything about Mausers, are there different types and if so is one more desirable than another? I hear Mauser 98 mentioned often. I also hear of Chile Mausers, Argentine Mausers. Are these 98s? How do you know you have a Mauser 98? Which Mauser would be suitable for a dangerous game rifle, say a .375 H&H? Did mauser make short actions?

Lot's of questions huh?
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,I saw some of the SHORT MAG ammo today that appears to be as large as most of the belted mag rims.The standard mausers are usually for the 30-06 size rims.However a careful gunsmith can open the face up to accept them.You state "NEW,not Milsurp"I'm positive that they will soon get on the bandwagon and build them for the new ammo.Show some patience and they will surely be along..Good hunting..modoc
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a standard magnum boltface should hold the short mags. A standard long action (270, 280, 30-06 etc) boltface of .473" will not handle a magnum cartidge unless it is opened up.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The WSM has a diameter of .554 tapering to .532
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bub8889,

"Is the bolt face and receiver of a new, not mil surplus, mauser action large enough for a WSM case..."

If the receiver is set up for the .473 boltface, no it is not big enough. If it is chambered for a standard magnum, .532, yes it is big enough. The commercial Mauser receivers have been modified to hold everything up to and including the .505 Gibbs so they can be worked over to hold the WSM's.

"...with out any major modifications."

NO, very simply. The boltface will have to be opened from .473 to .532, the rails will have to be adjusted to feed these fat little buggers, the follower has to be modified for width, the magazine box either has to be modified significantly or better, order a new one from Blackburn. Then the box will need to have a block of some sort made and put into the back of the magazine and then the follower has to be adjusted for length. After all of this, you test the feed ramp and modifiy it. It requires a knowledge of the overall geometry and how each part and piece interacts with the others. Not bad for someone who knows what they're doing but a fair piece of work for someone with only moderate skills. It's been done on lots of occasions. Look up a drawing of the WSM's and see what I mean. You'll quickly develop a greater respect for Winchester and the other companies that have gone to the effort of making dedicated receivers and rifles.

My suggestion is to look at Montana Rifleman and order a dedicated receiver or get a Winchester.

Best.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A standard 98 Mauser bolt face is not large enough as explained in the previous posts. A good gunsmith can open the bolt face ,remove metal around the rim, to make it work. However after the bolt face is opened the receiver rails have to be opened to accomodate the "fatter" shell case.
    The shell follower may have to replaced with a shorter one and a block put in the rear of the magazine box to hold the shells to the front. Sometimes they work without this step and sometimes they dont.Unless you can do the work yourself it isnt feasible money wise to hire all this done.
    FN,Parker Hale,Interarms and several others made or modified 98 magnum actions and if you look around you can probably find one reasonably priced. Be patient and search the auction and one will come along. It will be much cheaper and easier to start with a proper action for your project.

<BR>
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What exact action are you refering to, Mark X, FN commercial, Santa Barbara, the new Charles Dayly; what? Also if the action is full length why would you want to stuff a short case mag into it. Go with the tried and true 300winmag which was designed for just this length action. Where I might be tempted to build a WSM is in an intermediate length good quality surplus action like a Yugo, a 1924 FN or a 1903 Turk. But the new short mags run at a higher pressure and so that action had better be real good. A short action Ruger or Winchester, with a magnum bolt face, would be the best platform for such a project, at which point you might as well just go buy a new one and custom restock it to your taste.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I usually perfer sako actions but I wanted something different and a friend suggested a mauser, I don't want a 300 WSM, Looking at .25 WSM not WSSM. I know virtually nothing about mauser actions other than that they are good quality. Thank you all for the info it is very much appreciated. Thank you