In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do I tell if a POLYTECH is a Legend ?

jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I recently obtained a AK$& stamped POLYTECH and was told that it is a legend. How do I tell if this is a legend or one of the standard POLYTECH's.Any help is greatly appreciated.Mike

Comments

• Options
    The Gun DoctorThe Gun Doctor Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that the legend has the milled receiver not a stamped receiver. To tell the difference, on the side of the receiver towards the lower front there will be a long indent of a rectangle.If the indent is a small rectangle(about an inch) and not squared at the corners its a stamped receiver.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stamped receivers also have rivets, which the machined receivers do not. It should be easy to tell a machined receiver (Legand) from a stamped receiver (AKS) just by looking. I believe the Legand is also marked AK47S, but I do not have mine at hand to confirm my weak memory.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can also just look inside the mag well. If it is a stamped receiver, you'll see just a thin bent piece of metal forming the frame. If it is the milled it will be much thicker, not just bent thin steel. The rear of the receiver will have a riveted block if it is the stamped. That block will rise above the receiver slightly. This is where the recoil spring assembly locks into. On the milled that same area will be flush with the rest of the receiver. All of this looking at the rear of the receiver must be done with the top cover off of course. The easy way to tell is the machined out window on the side of the receiver just above the mag well on both sides.
  • Options
    The Gun DoctorThe Gun Doctor Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judgecolt: I dug out my polytech, which is not the legend series but has beautiful furniture and all of the evil goodies on it and it has AKS-47. So you might be correct with the AK-47S being the legend.
  • Options
    Tactical InnovationsTactical Innovations Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TI-logo-GIF2.gifOriginal PolyTech parts. At an affordable price.

AK47/s = Legend

Why Buy A PolyTech?

For starters, the bolt carrier (and bolt) are parkerized for improved corrosion resistance. -Almost all other manufactures use either a blue finish or none at all.

The gas block is machined from a solid forging for superior strength. -Other gas blocks on AKs are usually made from a casting to save the manufacture some cash.

The breech block is also machined from a solid forging for superior strength. Others cut corners by using two separate pieces fastened together.

All Poly Tech AK hammers feature a special heat-treating process utilized on all mil-spec AKs to insure against component failure. Extensive torture tests conducted by the Chinese military (in full auto-mode) revealed a 125% improvement in durability versus components left untreated.

The Poly Tech AK hammer retaining spring is coiled around the safety lever shaft to guard against potential dislodgement of the hammer. In all other AKs, the hammer retaining spring rests alongside the left hand side of the receiver; it is not secured.

All Poly Tech AKs are equipped with spring-loaded firing pins to eliminate any chance for the occurrence of a "slam fire". The competitors still use floating firing pins - use commercial 7.62x39mm loads in their rifles at your own risk!

legendunder.jpg

The Legend

Like the original Kalashnikov AK-47 the Poly Technologies AK47/S (Legend) features a genuine machined receiver. (Milled) The hammer forged machined receiver of the AK47/S involves over 110 individual production steps. Each receiver is fitted to an ordinance-grade barrel specially selected for uniformity and accuracy potential. Of course the bore and gas piston are hard chromed to resist corrosion and extend service life. The trigger mechanism retains the original AK-47 type "double hook" design for maximum safety and reliability, yet reduces trigger overtravel and offers smoother engagement with considerably less "creep". Like all other Polytechs the critical components are heat treated for superior strength. The Lengends were furnished with an original pattern knife bayonet and came available on the market in around march 1988.

AK47/S Legend Specifications:
    Caliber: 762x39mm (Soviet)
    Weight: 8.2lbs (empty)
    Barrel: 16 3/8 in. Chrome-lined bore and chamber. Cold hammer forged.
    Rifling: Four lands and grooves, RH twist, on turn in 240mm/9.45 in.
    Length: 34 3/8 in.

www.Tactical-Innovations.com
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great info. Thanks,
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Heres my twin legends. The only downside to them is the weight.

DSCF0069.jpg
  • Options
    AZEXAZEX Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to see you guys here T_A!!!!

D.