In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US & S m 1911 A1

Alex SAlex S Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a US & S m1911A1 No 1041855
It is in unrestored but fair to good condition.
I dont see either the P stamps or initials on the gun.
But I am very intrested in its history and value?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Made 1943 should have a circle with RCD inside the circle for inspector Lt Col R.C.Downie. In focus Closeup detailed pictures "MIGHT" help you with more information . Do not clean /modify/ change parts/ ETC[V] the U.S.S. are sort after if ORIGINAL. [^]"PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alex S

where would be a good place for appraisel
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

where would be a good place for appraisel

If you have a local gunsmith/gunshop in your area with someone who really knows guns, they can look it over and give you an opinion. Or post some detailed pictures here and someone will be able to help you. There are a few good guys on here that know alot about 1911's, they have helped me in the past too.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best history of the US&S 1911A1 I have found is in the Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols, Models of 1911 and 1911A1 by Charles W. Clawson (3rd edition). If you are really interested, you might want to borrow or buy a copy. Mr Clawson states that 55,000 pistols were made by US&S, so they aren't exactly scarce.

Most US&S pistols have been refinished, had parts replaced, &/or become worn. As Perry Shooter points out, collectors are looking for these guns, but value is high only for minty, all-original guns. While guns in 99+% condition have sold for as much as $7,000-8,000 within the last year or so, current price would probably top off at around $5,000. A well used gun, or one with parts replaced, will sell for < $1,000.

I don't know what you mean by "appraisal". If you mean a professional evaluation in writing for purposes of settling an estate, we may be able to suggest some dealers who do that, but you will need to pay their fee & shipping expenses so that they can do a "hands on" examination. On the other hand, if you just want a SWAG estimate (i.e., Scientific Wild * Guess) by those of us with little knowledge but lots of time on our hands, then you can add high quality digital photos to your post & we can take a stab at it.

An early production gun would not have the proof P on the receiver & slide. But, lack of inspectors initials would indicate either that it was refinished, or could possibly be a "lunch box" gun that was never accepted by the military.

Neal
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    those union switch and signal a1's really command a price.

dgac
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info.
    I did find the RCD initials and the gun is earlyenough to not have the P stamp
    I will try to get some pictures online.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have also found 2nd clip, U.S. holster and several boxes of ammo
    What can I look for on amma boxes or brass casings to see if it is
    of the same time period

Also have a m1 Garand 30carbine and several rounds (500 aprox)
    any info on this would be great.
    Thankyou
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    All Military ammo Will have a Head-Stamp this will give you who made it and what year. Be aware some military Ammo "early stuff has Corrsoive primers and if shot the firearm MUST be properly cleaned within 24 hours. or there will be damage to bore .
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Just FYI, yours is an early US & S pistol. Serial numbers ran from 1041405 to 1096404....and don't be concerned about the lack of the "P" proof stamp. US & S M1911A1s weren't "P" marked until around serial number 1060000.
  • Options
    reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To Perry Shooter: Not all WWII ammo was corrosive. The M1 carbine ammo was not. I do not know the answer so don't think I am setting you up, but was .45 acp ammo made with corrosive primers? reindeer