In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Legality of AR with M16 Bolt Carrier Group

jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
I've seen a lot of parts kits for AR15's but they include an M16 Bolt Carrier Group. What is the legality of using an M16 BCG on an AR?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is perfectly legal, as it has been declared by the BATFE, from what I understand. I know for a fact, that some of the early AR-15's, came with them in, even as a semi-auto only rifle.

If one has a lightening link, and the FCG, then they could pretty much look as constructive possestion of a machinegun.

Best
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My Bushmaster that I bought about 20yrs ago came with a M-16 BCG, and my DPMS I got about four yrs ago did also.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    My Bushmaster that I bought about 20yrs ago came with a M-16 BCG, and my DPMS I got about four yrs ago did also.

So did my new California compliant Colt M4 6920ca..
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911
    I've seen a lot of parts kits for AR15's but they include an M16 Bolt Carrier Group. What is the legality of using an M16 BCG on an AR?

So long as you don't have all the OTHER parts necessary to make the gun fire full auto too (either installed in the gun, OR even sitting in a box in a different room) you're fine with JUST an M16-type bolt carrier group.

If you have all the parts, then you get into what the BATFE calls "constructive possession", and if they catch you with them, then can (and likely will) charge you with possession of an illegal machine gun.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911
    Details of how/when/why this change came about can be found through research or letter writing to BATF, but the simple way to get an accurate answer is to look on the shelf in your local WalMart. Their legal staff isn't going to take the chance of stores being being raided by the feds. [:D]

Most complete AR type rifles - including Colt - currently leave the factory with M16 bolt carrier groups. Been this way for several years now.