In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20ga low brass #4 lead shot?

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm going to help start a petite sized lady pheasant hunting this year. I was wanting to buy some low brass #4 lead shells if I can find them #5 lead would work. I can find plenty of #6 lead but would like some heavier shot.

Anyone know where I can find the #4 or #5's in low brass?

Edit: I appreciate all the advice on shot size, I do. I've been hunting wild birds in South Dakota for many years, I've shot hundreds of pheasants in all kind of conditions. I know a low brass #6 out of an improved cylinder choke will take care of most of her shots. However, I also know when conditions warrant, larger shot and tighter chokes are handy.

She is a decent shot on clays with the O/U 20ga and is comfortable shooting the 7/8 oz field loads, but doesn't handle the recoil from heavier loads very well. I want her to enjoy the experience in comfort and not be thinking of the ammo in the chambers. I also want her to be able to kill birds when they are flying a little wild.

A high brass 20 and a field load 12 are basically the same load. If she could handle the field load in a 12ga I already have a couple hundred round of those in #4 shot and she could shoot them.

I may have to start loading my own and load up what I am looking for, but I would rather just buy some if I can find them.

Thanks for the input so far.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Fiocchi or Rio or Estate.
    Honestly, I would politely suggest you stick with #6 copper plated shot. It performed the best of any shot size I used back when we hunted pheasants hard. My Son killed his share of cock birds using 1 ounce loads of copper 6's.
    I was guiding and was expected to knock down cripples at somewhat longish range so I used reloaded ammo (1 1/4 ounce #6 copper plated)tested to provide uniform patterns that I could depend on. I would have used nickel plated but it was not available or I couldn't locate any.
    The only place we've been able to hunt the last few years is on a game farm which is not a good comparison due to flight characteristics of pen raised birds. My choice of gun/load on those trips is a 28ga using #7 1/2 in the IC barrel and #6 in the mod barrel-both 3/4 ounce loads. Son is still using the same 20 ga and the same #6 loads on these slow birds and we can't see much difference in the killing effect between 3/4 ounce of 7.5 and 1 ounce of 6(similar chokes/same ranges).
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If by low base you are looking less recoil not sure anyone makes big shot for other than hunting. With names like high velocity or super pheasent I suspect more recoil. Good list of stuff at cheap than dirt.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend #7 1/2 high for her, but if recoil is a problem low would be the second choice.

I reload 12ga 2 3/4", #7 1/2 low & high for anything that flys (birds & clays) except where non-toxic is needed.

IMHO, unless you plan on long shots #7 1/2 is the best because it makes a nice dense pattern. Yes #5,6 is heavier, but unless your turkey hunting I think smaller shot is applicable on smaller game.

Good luck to both of you.[^]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget the "low brass" idea. Compare load fps and the amount of shot
    if you want "softer" recoil.
    IE... look for 1 oz {or less} loads at 1250fps or less. There are lots to choose from. The faster 1375fps loads will "hurt" more.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, you're going to be hard pressed to find low dram loads with the larger shot sizes.

Loading your own would be a better option any way. I'm particularly fond of the proprietary wads and load recipes Ballistic Products offers.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The man is certain he wants 4s and 5s and I agree.
    In my experience they kill pheasants (and squirrels) better than 7 1/2. A few pellets will do it. You don't need to hit with the center of the pattern.
    With lower power of light field loads, the more power in each pellet the better.
    I agree No 6 worked better than 7 1/2 for wild pheasants even in high base loads.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Problem with lighter 7/8 or 1 oz load in 4's or 5 that would be homemade is that it isn't alot of pellets headed downfield. 6's will kill pheasants.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.{elsewhere}/product/3-0309535

sorry about that..I slipped.

There are loads of #4 and # 5's factory loaded. I believe the #4"s are a tad too big for a 20 gauge. The #5's knock em out of the skies!!