In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1955 Smith Wesson 38 Never Fired

rjackrjack Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Smith & Wesson 38, Nickel that belonged to a Chicago Cop, He purchased it new in 1955, He was busted with two other cops for stealing some golf clubs out of a car and went to prison. This smith has never been fired, when I got it from him, I asked him why it was in such beautiful condition, he said I never fired it, never took it to the range. I am wanting to sell/trade it but I do not know how to value something like this, with the history, Chicago Cop, Never fired....etc.... any help would be cool....Semper Fi...

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your first goal is to figure what model it is. There is a model 1955 but it is 45 ACP. J frame 5 shot, k or n frame 6 shot.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certainly an unfired S&W from 1955 is worth a bit of money.
    (Do you have the box and papers? They will add a good deal of value.)

Bear in mind that if a buyer posted the same question, I would tell him to "Buy the gun, not the story."
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Certainly an unfired S&W from 1955 is worth a bit of money.
    (Do you have the box and papers? They will add a good deal of value.)

Bear in mind that if a buyer posted the same question, I would tell him to "Buy the gun, not the story."

Good advice there.

And given that every Smith gun is (or should be) test fired at the factory, its probably not strictly true that the gun is "unfired". At best its "like new", or "unfired since it left the factory".

Anyway, if you want a value, the first thing to do is figure out what model it is. Is it a snubnose? You said its a 38.

Its it a .38 (S&W) special or a .38S&W?

If you don't know, just post a few pictures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will post a picture in a little bit.... I know it was fired at factory.... he purchased it new and never fired it. Thanks for everything so far and pictures will be up soon....Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I upload photos all the time to sites, but I can not get them to this forum site. Email me at rjack131313@yahoo.com and I will forward you photos...Thanks
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instructions for posting photos at this link.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Owners of this forum won't allow photos to be posted directly from a PC's hard drive. Use of a net photo hosting service is required, as outlined in link.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have any of those accounts for posting photos and have no interest in getting them. thanks for your help on this matter. Semper Fi.....Randy
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could search on the auction side for S&W to find one that looks like yours. Correct box and tools add $, proof of ownership by Serpico or other famous type people can add $. Oh and in the 80's I bought an new in box S&W from the 60's later I got one more from that same lot in the 90's. And there were 38 S&W which is not the same as 38 Special.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun came from his son who took possession of it in the 50s, but thanks for the information. I wish uploading photos of it were not so difficult, it is a nice gun. Nobody has emailed me for photos so I may just put it back in the drawer and hold on to it for another 30...
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You definately need to send some pictures to someone wo can post them for you. Being unfired is worth some money, but if it comes with box and paper's, that would be worth a bit more.

I am not sure who posted it, but I am fairly sure S&W never made a J frame 5 shot in 45 ACP. They are hard pressed to get the 5 38's in there.

Best
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is an experts forum, and you need to realize, that there are some of here who take pride in our knowledge, and sharing it with other's.

That said, the majority of the bickering here was ovr a misunderstanding, about a Chigago joke. That is the kind of stuff that belongs over on the Generad Discussion board.

Moderators, could you please move this over to the GD forum?[:D]

Best
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Members,

This debacle has been amended and is now locked due to the absurd misuse of this forum by most of the members whose replies I have deleted.

This is Ask the Experts and that's what the Original Poster did. The members will please remember that if they can't answer a question, they should not waste the OP efforts to derive some information from those that can supply information.

Best.