In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Shotgun should I chooose?

JJoyce23JJoyce23 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm a 33 year old who is fairly new to the shotgun scene. I am looking for something I can use for trap, turkey and eventually deer. I have narrowed it down to a Remington 1100 or 1187 (I suppose I would even consider a 870 or mossberg 500). I want quality but dont want to pay a ton. Can anyone help me decide?

Comments

• Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the 3 things you mentioned, I would go with a Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. You will want the ability to interchange barrels at a reasonable price. You will also want to be able to shoot 2-3/4" and 3" shells. Even if you decide later on down the road that you want/need a semi-auto, you can never have too many pump 12GA shotguns
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to the trap range, I'd bet if you ask around you could try them and see what you like and seems to fit you better. A second bbl made for slugs and sights will hunt deer better.

I have shot them all and lots others, I have 2 870 Express an old Ithaca 37 and HR Topper Single bbl. All but the 37 are for 3 inch shell and have screw in chokes.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go with the 1100. barrels will be cheaper and easier to find. I think I would try to find the trap model with the monte carlo stock as the base just because Trap is easier with the higher point of impact. then buy a short slug barrel then maybe a short fixed choke or Rem choke for turkey. You might get away with just a 25 inch rem choke to use for turkey and slugs, They do make a cylinder and maybe even a slug screw in choke. I initially used a 1100 with a fixed 25 inch skeet barrel for deer with good success, it was nicely accurate at 50 yd and suitable out to 75 . I only used Breneke slugs but some of the newer slugs might be very good from what I've read. I switched out to a slug barrel just because of the handling. They may even make a 21 inch screw in which would be great for turkey with the appropriate choke of your choice.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Choose an older model that has been around for 50 years or more, with plenty of spare parts available, and extra barrels, and a better fit and finish than most modern starter shotguns.

Many that old will not chamber 3 inch shells, but I remain mostly unconvinced of their actual practical benefit.

Plus many are available as private sales.

+1

Winchester put a lot of research into what was the best load for killing ducks, and concluded that a 2 3/4" with 1 1/2 ounces of #4's, with a pellet density equivalent to lead, was as effective as anything.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the 870...fewer parts = fewer problems. Been using my 870TB trap gun for "everything" for a l o n g time now. Never a problem. (.02)
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    If you go the S/A route go with the 11/87 over the 1100, as the 1100s have had some issues with shooting both 2-3/4 and 3" shells. Remington solved the problems of the 1100 with the 11/87.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a 11/87 or 870 would be good for your declared purpose.

I used to have a 870 bird & slug barrel combo. It was a hastings slug barrel. You would need to buy a trap barrel in addition or some type of rib system to get the package your looking for. Your going to have at least $950 dollars in what you are thinking about...you realize that don't you.

I would go with the semi-auto with hind sight being 20/20. I think most people start out with pumps amd end up with auto's. One thing, pumps are much more reliable than semi-auto's. Some guys are going to tell you that their $1000+ dollar auto loader never has malfunctioned, I call B.S. There is always some weather condition (usually cold) that will trip up a semi auto.

That being said...I'd never buy another pump gun again. I love the Beretta semiauto I own, I have a bird & slug barrel. I got the slug barrel last year. I laughed my butt off the first time I shot a slug out of it. It felt like a 20ga high brass!

I dont have a trap barrel for it yet but I will next time I see them on sale.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the 870 Express Turkey gun, in 3 inch. No need for 3 1/2". I have the 21 inch Turkey gun, and have never regretted it. I have slayed turkeys out to 65 yards with #6 shot, and the factory extra full turkey choke...just as dead as a $1500.00 3 1/2" Benelli...and by the way...I own a Benelli too...what for, is beyond me, as I don't use a shotgun for much.

Best