In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lock tite

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in Ask the Experts
How many of you use lock tite on guns and where do you use it? Do you feel that it is recommended on bases etc?

Todd

Comments

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some use the Red (locker) or Blue (removable) on scope screws.

I think some AR owners use it on the barrel ring?

I use the Blue on my trigger set screws or a small drop of thick epoxy. Once the trigger is set you don't want it moving.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the blue grade all the time. If you don't want screws loosening from the vibration of shooting, it's the stuff to use. Be super careful if you use the red grade, it's for permanent applications.
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loctite 242 blue for all gun screws. I use it mostly on grip screws. Some use the red to make a cohesive bond on sight dovetails when installing replacement sights. Tight compression is key to it's success.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a touch of red on the AR-15 castle nut when installing collapsible stocks, hunting rifle scope mount screws, and on 870 stock bolts etc. Since I have been using this stuff none have worked loose, and the items can still be removed.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt 1861 Navy that had its base pin loose. I gave it a treatment of Wicking Locktite that fixed it. A loose base pin is a major problem, removing it, making a shim washer to try to tighten it, etc. The wicking feature of that kind of Loctite eliminated all the romance. It 'wicks' or soaks its way into the thread without having to take anything apart.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use blue on scope base screws, trigger adjustment screws and S&W revolver strain screw on the mainspring.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Blue is fine, works great! Use it on all base screws.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rhmc24
    I have a Colt 1861 Navy that had its base pin loose. I gave it a treatment of Wicking Locktite that fixed it. A loose base pin is a major problem, removing it, making a shim washer to try to tighten it, etc. The wicking feature of that kind of Loctite eliminated all the romance. It 'wicks' or soaks its way into the thread without having to take anything apart.

I was not aware of this type of product........sounds like a great idea.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bartman45
    quote:Originally posted by rhmc24

I was not aware of this type of product........sounds like a great idea.

It works OK as long as the screw threads, both internal and external are clean and free of oil. If the holes weren't cleaned after tapping, questionable if it will help secure the screws?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used Mod 70 243 with a 4x Lupold. For my needs this caliber warrants a higher magnification, variable power scope.
    Not one single screw on the rings will move and the front ring wont turn on the Redfield style Leupold mount.
    I haven't worked up enough nerve yet to start applying heat but that's the only solution.
    Loctite really secures threaded parts so you should be sure you need a permanent assembly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I bought a used Mod 70 243 with a 4x Lupold. For my needs this caliber warrants a higher magnification, variable power scope.
    Not one single screw on the rings will move and the front ring wont turn on the Redfield style Leupold mount.
    I haven't worked up enough nerve yet to start applying heat but that's the only solution.
    Loctite really secures threaded parts so you should be sure you need a permanent assembly.

Before trying heat stick it in the freezer for a couple of days . Freezing is supposed to cause lock tight to degrade. That is if lock tight was used? I've been told that some folks use high strength epoxy.