In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith and Wesson Mercox dart gun

lack53lack53 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I was going through a lot of my old junk, and found a plastic tube..when I opened it, inside was a syringe, mercox dart gun..and a slip of green paper with these words on it, gun to be made by Smith and Wesson..I am planning on listing it with an exorbitant price, hoping to
get an idea of the value of something like this.. I have seen one of these pistols in my life, but had never seen the dart til I opened this one up..Ok experts, whats it worth? and how do I upload a pic? Thanks, Bobby

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instructions for posting photos.

You might give GOOGLE a try, regarding value of a Mercox dart.

Might be best to ascertain if the syringe contains any liquid though. Prior to selling it. Some animal tranquilizers/drugs have legal restrictions regarding possession and sale. Hate to think of the DEA kicking in your door at 0600, and hauling you off. For selling some stuff you though was harmless on the auction.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have no idea what this thing is worth. Its one of those scarce things where the market is going to be very thin. Very few of these are out there (at all), let alone for sale, but very few buyers interested. To the *right person* this could be worth a good bit, but finding that person might be pretty tough.

Best (perhaps only) way to know what this is worth is to list it at auction and see what it gets. My WAG is that you'd be lucky to see $20 for this. . .but see above.

Not incidentally, see here for additional information you may find interesting:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=398238243

Apparently the guns themselves are exceptionally scarce. They're based on the model 17 .22 revolver, using blanks to power the projectiles. Only 25 of the guns total were ever made, around 18 shipped out, and a few were sold at auction about 20 years ago:

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/55/lid/1877
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have searched the internet high and low..there is no liquid of any kind in it, nor any residue of any kind...I can find tons of info on the guns, and how scarce they are, but If I owned one, I would feel compelled to have some of the projectiles that go with it.. It is a sample, probably for a salesman, because it has that note in it, and the language pretty well sounds like the dart predates the actual gun..other than the pics in the magazines or brochure, there are no pictures to be found of the actual dart on the internet..I would hope it would be worth more than $20 though, and I guess I will just keep it as an oddity,since I have owned it for over 25 years (Heck, I may be the only person in the world with one, lol).....I personally think that if indeed they only sold 18 guns, most of these samples were trashed also..anyway, thanks for your comments, I appreciate anything I can find out about it ...how does one post a picture on here?
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith & Wesson firearms are very popular with collectors. A little known accessory for the very rare Mercox Dart Gun. Might have substantial value to a collector?

The "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", by Supica & Nahas. Is the basic reference for S & W collectors. E-mail them with your photo. See if they can give you any info or valuation for it.

c7u8.jpg
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think rufe-snow is correct.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by md1634
    I think rufe-snow is correct.

I cant tell that they know any more about this than we do..lol..maybe I just throw in the drawer for another 25 years...