In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 Springfield Custom

rslscobrarslscobra Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have an idea what a good serial numbered 1903 (03action w/NEW a3-03 "*" barrel) with the following customizing done would be worth?

Fajen laminated Bro/Bro thumbhole stock w/ recoil pad
Glass bedded action and barrel
New deep polished blued by gunsmith
Timney Sportsman adjustable trigger
Leupold rings/bases
Simmons Whitetail Hunter 6-24x50mm scope w/ flip up lens caps
Nylon sling with detachable swivels

30-06 caliber - only fired appx 200 rounds through this rifle.
Shoots consistant less than 1 inch groups at 100 yards with Speer 130 gr. HP's. My own reloads. I never really worked up any other loads for it. I shot five whitetail bucks and one doe with this rifle over the years and they all dropped in their tracks.[:D]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Looking to find out information on this rifle. I know its custom but don't know by who. Not even sure of the caliber no markings but looks to be 30cal.

This was inherited. Not looking to sell it. Just looking to find out information and the value.

I will post more information if I find anything paperwork on this rifle.

Here are some pictures.

7abt.jpg
    ck6w.jpg
    e1cm.jpg
    71nr.jpg
    qs05.jpg
    gqkn.jpg
    fbto.jpg
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there are no markings any where visible, including within the engraving, you can remove the stock and look in the barrel channel and on the underside of the rifle's metal work.
    If the work was done by a custom gunsmith/engraver , as it appears it was, they almost always engrave their name or the companies name somewhere . the markings may be small and hard to see, but should be somewhere.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Also, take the butt plate off, the stock make may have marked the end of the stock.
    Put some socks on next time you take pictures.[;)]
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping I didn't have to remove the stock, but its looking that way.

Any area specifically to look or a common area?
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    On the receiver ring there appears to be a serial number. When the action was made it would also have given the name of the armory. This information would let you know at least when and where it started.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking rifle. http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/ I would at the least have the head space check and perhaps a chamber cast done to see what it is actually chambered for. I once had a reheat treated one in 300 Gibbs. It was second best shooter I ever owned.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The oak leaf carving and engraving are Germanic in style.
    There were a lot of German engravers and other craftsmen working cheap during the Occupation and for some years afterwards as we helped our enemies become our friends. They didn't always sign their work.
    Use of a peep sight instead of a scope indicates a pretty early job, although the white line spacers were kind of flashy for the period.

Is the serial number 315877 or close to that?
    If so and if it is a Springfield instead of a Rock Island, somebody will be along shortly to tell you about the risks of a Low Number 1903. That might be why the barrel is engraved and the action not; the receiver too hard (and maybe brittle) to cut.

Mr Kornbrath really spelled it out, no cryptic symbol or intials for him. Look about halfway down the page at
    http://www.hallowellco.com/touchmark.htm

$4000 sounds like a lot for a museum to offer. Unless you are strongly attached to it as an heirloom, I would ask if they are still interested. I see it as 1907 production.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice carving and engraving. Done by a master German gunsmith.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with cbyerly and Hawk Carse. The white line spacer suggests a Bishop or Fajen stock from the 1950's or 1960's. True classic custom sporters would have checkered instead of carved wood and would not have the flashy white spacers. The workmanship is impressive. I would bet the work was done for a serviceman in Germany after WWII. If you remove the metal from the stock be sure to get a properly fitting and flat ground screwdriver. A general purpose screwdriver can easily damage the screw heads.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would estimate that your rifle would sell in the $300-500 range, assuming that it is chambered in the original .30-06.

The Browning fitted case would sell faster, probably in the $150-200 range.

Neal

EDIT: I'm not saying I'm right, either. All I'm saying is, that's my estimate. There is no Blue Book of One-of-a-kind Firearms; the only way to definitively determine the value of a unique item is to list it for sale at absolute auction, & that sale figure is valid for, maybe, a day. Values go up, values go down; sporterized milsurps are not as popular today as they were 50 years ago. You are not interested in selling, so it should make no difference to you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $400-$500? I find this odd not saying you are wrong, but I can tell you this a museum offer $4000 for this rifle years ago. Now I don't see why his father would lie as he was a well respected person In the gun business, who recently passed away (bless his sole.) The problem is I need to find out who built this custom rifle. Now I would assume the museum knew exactly what they were looking at.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to say it's definetly worth more than a used Glock selling at $400-$500 (to me anyway), but have doubts about it being worth $4-5 K ....but who knows ???? [;)].

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ok more info. Found paperwork that states the following. Serial #31387x manufactured by Springfield Arsenal in 1906, 30-06. Scrollwork on barrel and trigger assembly with silver inlaid deer is believed to be the work of Mr. Kronbrath a German Craftsman who worked for Colt from 1890's - 1920. The stock was hand-crafted by a U.S. Infantryman. So if this is the case does anyone know what symbol or what did Mr. Kornbrath stamp?
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rslscobra
    Serial #31387x manufactured by Springfield Arsenal in 1906, 30-06. Would not recommend shooting that one, at all....too dangerous [:0]. Sell it to the museum, they don't shoot them [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Here's my take on this rifle -

The stock is styled with a black forearm tip and white line spacers like something mail order in the 1950's. The wood quality is fairly plain.

The engraving looks nice, and may or may not have been done by Kornbrath, without initials or provenance you may never know.

A US Infantryman may have been who carved the stock, but cetainly not in theater, so it does not matter.

Unfortunately this rifle will not command much money. It has no historical significance, nor is there collector demand for heavily customized arms of questionable lineage.

The old "but he was offered XXX amount" often pops up in these appraisals, and is irrelevant. I'm sorry to tell you that a museum should really have no interest in this rifle, for the reasons stated above.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    quote:Originally posted by rslscobra
    Serial #31387x manufactured by Springfield Arsenal in 1906, 30-06. Would not recommend shooting that one, at all....too dangerous [:0]. Sell it to the museum, they don't shoot them [;)]

I disagree. While it was made during the era of visual temperature gauging, there is no reason to conclude that it is one of the burnt actions. There were about a million single heat treated '03s made- less than a hundred had any problems- that puts the odds at about 1 in 10,000. Not something to ignore, but certainly not reason to relegate it to the wall.