In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ackley 250 magnum

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have come across a rifle that is chambered for the Ackley 250 magnum and was wondering if anyone can tell me some about it such as what parent case is used to form the 250 mag and are dies available and reloading info and what era was this caliber produced. As always any info is very much appreciated.
Terrill

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's based on the 300 H&H case.
    Best bet on dies is to have a set made to match your chamber
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has been said, it's based on the standard belted magnum case. It's a little shorter than other short magnums of the day with a case length of 2.450" and head to start of shoulder of 1.9075". Shoulder dia. is .490"; the same as the .257 Weatherby. Think of it as a short .257 Weatherby. If you'd push the shoulder of the Weatherby case back .100" and then trim .100" off the neck you would about have it. The abouve dimensions are from the Speer Wildcat Rifle Loads, Volume 2, published in 1956 which will give you an idea as to era.

As far as dies: There's probably a few old sets around but they'd be hard to find. You would probably have to have them made up.

Reloading data is in the old Ackley books as well as in the Speer book mentioned. Probably on the internet, too. Most of it is on the generous side, though (read, Over The Top! An example; 62 gr. of the old surplus 4831 with a 120 gr. Speer spitzer for 3235 fps.) so I'd start low.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Loading data for the 25 Ackley Magnum is listed in Ackley's book, but is pretty hot compared to today's standards. the cartridge is listed in Donnelly's cartridge conversion book- base to shoulder 1.964" and a 28 degree shoulder. Once you get the dies it appears all that is needed is to run 264 Win Mag cases through the die and trim to 2.6". RCBS and Redding previously made special order dies and they may have a set that would work.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    338magnut

TMI

Do yourself a favor and avoid a lot of possible grief. Ignore the dimensions cited above. The 25 Ackley Magnum is/was a wildcat. There are no set dimensions. The chamber dimensions of any given wildcat rifle are exactly what the reamer grinder and gunsmith made them to be.

Do a chamber cast.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:(] yeesh, by the sounds of it you're going to be spending a lot of cash to get dies, etc... just to load for it. It might be more cost effective to have it rebarreled in .257 Weatherby...
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    [:(] yeesh, by the sounds of it you're going to be spending a lot of cash to get dies, etc... just to load for it. It might be more cost effective to have it rebarreled in .257 Weatherby...

If you wanted to redo it to Weatherby you wouldn't need a rebarrel, just have a gunsmith pull the barrel, trim off one thread, run a reamer for the Weatherby dimensions into the chamber, reset the barrel and you're off.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

A certified wildcatter would not let cost be a deciding factor. The more expensive and the more trouble it is, the more satisfaction.[:D]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find someone with a bore scope and look the throat area over carefully. If it was shot much, it is not far from or already shot out IMHO. I have seen dies on flea bay though not every day.

If it were mine I'd re-barrel it to 7mm Rem Mag and enjoy it for a long time.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako

A certified wildcatter would not let cost be a deciding factor. The more expensive and the more trouble it is, the more satisfaction.[:D]

That is just sick! But I like you[:D][;)][:D]

I'd just go with the .257 Wby or .257/7Rem Mag. Putting a 40 degree shoulder will make an already overbore situation a real headache. If you do anything in the magnum realm make sure to ask the gunsmith to give you at least a half inch of freebore.
  • Options
    338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All this info is greatly appreciated and it gives me a ton of ideas to think on thanks to all who took the time for my question.
    Terrill