In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrel Removal??

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I recently obtained an Oberndorf Mauser Model 98 that I am planning to send to a gunsmith for some work. It is presently in complete rifle form and all that will need to go to the gunsmith is the action. After reading some instructions on barrel removal, I fit the barrel in the vise, shimmed the wrench so as not to mar the action then tried by best to turn the barrel loose. This was after several hours coated with CLP Breakfree. There is no rust on the rifle. Is there something else needed besides about a six foot cheater bar?

Comments

• Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's about it; maybe some rosin inside the vise's bushing to prevent turning. You ARE using a BARREL vise, right?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For very hard to remove barrels. They are set up in a 4 jawed chuck in a lathe, with the front of the barrel in a steady rest. A shallow cut is taken in the barrel just in front of the receiver, with a parting tool. To relieve pressure on the threads.

I wouldn't screw with it. Send the barreled receiver to the gunsmith. Let him handle it.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray B.

We never charged for this task even if it took too much time. It goes with the territory.

This is one of those situations where the right tool for job is really true. I would hate to recount the number of ruined M98 Mauser actions I've seen from amateurs over the years.

You will need a real barrel vise and a real action wrench made for the Mauser actions. These can be found at Brownells and a few other suppliers.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/wrenches/action-wrenches-components/action-wrench-prod16140.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/vises-accessories/barrel-vises/barrel-vise-prod41623.aspx

Now if the one time tariff is a little steep for your taste then let the gunsmith take care of the problem for you. I would chat with him in order to pick a time to meet with him at his convenience to get this accomplished. He can remove everything that he doesn't need, to return to you and you leave the action and bolt with him.

If you insist on continuing to separate the barrel from your action then put the barrel in a proper barrel vise, fit the action to the appropriate wrench, then apply a little heat by propane torch to the front ring. Be sure to go all the way around it carefully, then try the wrench. It will never be as easy as spinning the wrench around and most Mausers are supremely stubborn.

Best.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for powdered rosin in a good fitting barrel bushing. Never need a 6' bar but 4' is handy. Put tension on the wrench and swat the end of the handle with a 6# lead hammer. Kroil would be a better choice, warm barrel and action apply at both ends of the thread.

For the few extra bucks in shipping the barrel I'd let the smith do it.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I am leaving it to the gunsmith- As a preservative it was coated with a "paint", that when cleaned off leaves an action in very good condition. I was hoping to be able to take a cleaned action to the gunsmith but I'll have to settle on most of the action being cleaned.

It wasn't a "barrel vise, but I made a holder per the various books that accomplished a secure grip on the barrel and another form for a grip on the receiver. It appears that the barrel is set so tightly that it needs the skills of a gunsmith familiar with nearly hundred year old fittings to properly separate the two.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've removed and installed dozens of barrels on Gewehr 98's and Kar 98k's. They are easy and don't take much pressure.
    Everyone is right about the proper tools though. The barrel vice must be solidly mounted and tightened down on the barrel pretty tight. A three foot action wrench is all that required.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you accept the fact that you only want to preserve the action and not the barrel, the job can be made much easier.
    Make a cut into the barrel shoulder about 1/8" deep, forward of the barrel-action joint, you can release the compressive stress of barrel shoulder against the action.
    The cut should be made about 1/8" deep completely around the barrel. It can be made with a hacksaw taking care not to mar the receiver.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense

I realize you are a moderator and can boot me, but, your posts with those oversize photos really mess up the threads. Can't you re-size them or, better yet, eliminate them altogether?

Ray

I wasn't aware of the failure at Imageshack with this one photo. It was originally sized correctly so as not to offend anyone's sensitivities. I have switched to Hunt101 now since Imageshack is charging for their services.

I'm sorry you don't like photographs. You can turn off signatures in your profile. That way no images will show for anyone.

And I don't think I'm really THAT vindictive...

Best.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can turn them off in your setting. That's what I did.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    You can turn them off in your setting. That's what I did.

How do I do that?