In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Policia

itchy300itchy300 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
A buddy has a Colt 1911 that has Policia Federal stamped on the right side of the frame. He's looking to sell it and I can't find a good value on it. (I've never been able to upload pics on here so don't ask) I'm looking for other easy to find ones like it. Are they on GB? I tried searching with no luck.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be a Mutilated Mixed Parts Mongrel, like this one:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=403369934

Or, it might be an original Colt made for an Argentine contract.

Or, it might be an Argentine DGFM, a licensed Colt copy.

Or, it might be an Argentine Ballester Molina, an unlicensed copy of the Colt.

You may be able to figure out what it is, using the key words above when you search the GB completely listings.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Argentine Colt most likely. Colt sold and licensed 1911's to Argentina for over 20 years.

The first ones imported from Argentina in the early 70's, were NIB. Some of the latter ones were trashed, carried a lot and refinished more then once.

Without quality photos for identification and valuation. Can't help you.

STEVE13%20002_1.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What I was more asking is was it made in Argentina? It has a Colt stamp on the other side of the slide. If you put a regular Colt and one of these "Policia" models next to it, what are the mechanical differences and what is the valuation difference?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by itchy300
    What I was more asking is was it made in Argentina? It has a Colt stamp on the other side of the slide. If you put a regular Colt and one of these "Policia" models next to it, what are the mechanical differences and what is the valuation difference?

To many variables, for us to help you. Without quality photos.

Instructions for posting photos, at this link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you post a pic of the other side of that slide?
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick check on Ballester-Molina, it will not have a grip safety and it will have a pivoted trigger. They will be marked "HAFDASA".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It does have a grip safety and on the left side of the slide it has Colt marks and the pony.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a 1927 Colts argentine contract. Values run about 40% less than a contemporary US Govt Colt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But it was made by Colt, correct? Otherwise it wouldn't have the Colt name and pony on it.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least Colt machinery with those Argentine guns, and if you see a prancing pony, you can bet the boys in Hartford wouldn't have let that happen without a patent fight! It's a Colt without much doubt. As mentioned, there are myriad factors of condition to consider, but these are pretty well known and collected. Contract 1911 made in large numbers, so they rarely bring USProperty or Norwegian numbers, but most DEFINATELY not a Ballester Molina or Rigaud 1911'clone.