In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester shotgun info

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I've been given a couple shotguns to sell on consignment for a retired Air Force veteran. He says he bought both of them new many years ago but didn't save the boxes on either one. I've looked at completed auctions here but I'm hampered by not knowing what grade the guns are. Neither seems to have any markings to indicate Pigeon or whatever.

12 gauge automatic Super X Model 1, (New Haven) improved cyl, serial # M726xx

12 gauge superposed full/im M101 (New Haven) serial # K3417xx

The o/u has pieces broken off from both sides of the forearm and I suspect simply gluing them back on is not a good fix.

Any information you can supply will be appreciated.

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to get some quality photos taken and posted soon.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you posted quality photos, Henry.

Only thing I can add without photos,is. I believe the under and over is made in Japan. And should be marked as such. Even though it has a New Haven address.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the SX-1 have a straight or monte carlo stock? I'm guessing that it's straight since it is a ic choked gun. That being the case, it is a field grade gun since the only variations on those guns were field, trap and skeet versions (unless someone put an ic barrel on a different gun). I'd also venture a guess that with the gun in that serial number range it has a hard plastic butt plate on it.

As for the 101 I don't recall Winchester making a superposed version, only Browning did. You can look on the barrels by the writing and it could say "XTR" or "LW".

As for the 101 fix I wouldn't waste the time with a fix like that since it is so thin it will more than likely just re break. Look on the auction for a new butt stock or try:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/showler.htm

Chris has a lot of 101 stuff.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Win 101's were made in Japan from 1963 to 1987. Pigeon grades have a silver (coin) receiver. Fixed chokes were standard after 1982. My 101 has serial # 2143XX made about 1965. The K on your serial # might indicate it was made at the Kodensha(Japan) facility. The serial # should be on all 3 removable pieces; underside of barrel, under barrel tang of receiver and inside forearm. I would guess your 101 was made in the mid 1970's and is standard field grade.
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The easiest way to tell a SX-1 trap/skeet gun from a field model is the receiver, although there are other distinctions. A trap or skeet gun will have scrolling on the receiver while the field grade models have none. Field grade guns in good condition have been selling on the auction side in the $400-$500 range. Trap and skeet variants in reasonable shape have been bringing $700-$800, on average. Having the original box and paperwork seems to add about $50 to $100 to the final price. Watch for after-market recoil pads, screw-in chokes, or ported barrels. While utilitarian, these modifications tend to detract from the originality and value. Some SX-1 shotguns, especially the early models, came from the factory with a vented black rubber recoil pad that had a flat butt. Any pad with a color other than black, one with a curved butt, or one that isn't vented instantly gives away an after-market add. There are also other subtleties that SX-1 fans often look for: attaching screw or not at the end of the VR; serrated or plain trigger; gold trigger (came on some skeet/trap guns); satin (early) vs glossy (later) wood finish, just to name a few. As others have suggested, pictures would help, specifically pics of the features I've mentioned. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another way to tell a field from trap and skeet versions is that the butt stock on a field grade gun will have a v shape towards the receiver on the checkering while a skeet or trap will have a w shape on them. As for the scrolling that fairlane mentioned that is very true, however on some of the later guns out that is not always the case. When they were doing a clean up run the put together whatever they could to make a gun. I have a NIB sx 1 trap gun with a gold trigger, non scrolled receiver and a full choke barrel. The serial number on the box matches the gun and description. I have also seen a couple of others like this and they seem to run about 92,000 or so serial #'s which are at the very end of the run.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as getting the 101 repaired, there is a shop in Nevada that specializes in Winchester 101's. He also has parts and wood.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/showler.htm