In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

factory letter question

leed1315leed1315 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited March 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a few old win. that I would like to sell in near future. 66,73,76,(2)86,(2)95,(2)92,several 94,53. question is: would cody letter on any or all of them be worth the expense? all feedback welcome. lee

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, a letter is only needed to prove / disprove nonstandard features. Good, clean original rifles don't really need letters, but parts mutts won't have a pedigree...

Still, sounds like you have some valuable rifles. What could it hurt?? Some of those models won't letter, anyway, they are too late.
  • Options
    leed1315leed1315 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks, I will probably go ahead and do a couple.
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    leed 1315,

Not all of the rifles listed will be covered by the Winchester factory ledgers from which the Cody Letters are derived. If you want to send me a PM with the model and SN I can tell you which are available? I would also be interested in the 92 and 53 rifles for a research survey I am working on. 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Thanks
    Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to respectfully disagree with MG1890. I bought an 1892 standard rifle as original. A quick check with Bert revealed that it had been rebarreled, not by the factory, and was just an expensive lesson. If the seller had the letter, or I had done my job, I wouldn't have an expensive wall-hanger.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    I have to respectfully disagree with MG1890. I bought an 1892 standard rifle as original. A quick check with Bert revealed that it had been rebarreled, not by the factory, and was just an expensive lesson. If the seller had the letter, or I had done my job, I wouldn't have an expensive wall-hanger.

Fuelie, would the letter have confirmed or denied the configuration that you bought? My point being that if you bought a standard 24" round barrel 44WCF, and the barrel had rollmarks from a later rifle compared to your serial number, the letter wouldn't have helped?

Now if you bought the rifle thinking it was a special order length, then like I mentioned above the letter is best used to confirm / deny special order features.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From experience, I would say get the 'Cody letter' for all the ones you can. It costs a bit but you can definitely get enough more $$ to cover it.
  • Options
    bertman1017bertman1017 Member Posts: 102
    edited November -1
    I would suggest you get a one year membership to Cody. It costs $150.00 and they will lookup 40 serial #s for you and e-mail you the results. This is not an offical letter from cody, but you know where you stand with the rifle and will be able to state how it left the factory. You still have to do alittle research on the barrel address and sights for correct vintage. Good luck - Bertman PS I love old 1886's