In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model 11theMarlinman

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a Remington model 11 12 gauge. How do I adjust it for high or low brass shells????

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be a bronze bushing tapered on both ends, and a steel collar on your magazine tube. The collar goes between the bushing and the recoil spring. One side of the collar has a reverse taper and the other side is flat. For light loads, the flat side is toward the bushing. For heavy loads, the taper side towards the bushing. Since the barrel ring has a reverse taper, also, you can think of those reverse tapers squeezing that bushing on both ends for heavy loads and squeezing just one end for lights. While you have the gun apart, it would be a good idea to polish that magazine tube so everything slides as it should.

EDIT: So it appears I've been doing it wrong for all these years. I have 3 or 4 of the recoil operated guns, most of them set up for light loads for rabbit hunting. While my method works, I can now see the advantages of having the collar at the other end of the recoil spring. I'll be doing some changing. Thanks for helping out an old guy who thought he knew what he was doing and didn't even know he needed help.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The friction system consists of a friction piece which is the bronze collar with spring steel ring around it. There is also a friction ring. This ring has one side flat and the other has an inside bevel.

This is the correct position for light loads.
    The friction ring goes between the front the receiver and the rear of the recoil spring with the Flat face to the spring. The friction piece goes between the front of the spring and the barrel ring.
    003_zps83fdbb89.jpg

This is the position for heavy loads.
    The recoil spring goes against the front of the receiver. The friction ring goes in front of the spring with the flat face against the spring. The recoil piece then seats between the inside bevel of the friction ring and the barrel ring.
    006_zps3f2b2bcc.jpg

In ALL instances the flat face of the friction ring is placed against the end of the recoil spring whether ahead of, or behind it.

It's good that you caught this Ambrose.
    I loaned one of my 11A's to my brother after his divorce so he would at least have something to hunt with. It wasn't long before he brought it back malfunctioning.
    He had placed the friction ring ahead of the spring with the bevel to the spring. What happened was the bevel compressed the end of the spring against the magazine tube and gouged the tube enough that the barrel wouldn't recoil. I found myself replacing both the mag tube and the carrier dog.