In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kahr P380 100 gr 1039 fps

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited April 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just shot some Buffalo Bore 380 ACP +P 100 gr hard cast lead bullets in my Kahr P380 over my chronograph. Clocked an average of 1039 fps! Buffalo Bore 380 +P with a 90 gr JHP were doing 1073 fps. I know the lead will not expand. The JHP will expand at 1073 fps, its a Sierra 90gr. The core and jacket sometimes separate in a gallon jug of water. The lead goes through 3 jugs. Which to use? They both feed flawlessly.

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    the one that feeds reliably
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    the one that feeds reliably

+1.

Reliability is FAR more important than anything else.

In terms of energy, 100 grain @ 1039 fps has a bit more pep than a 90 grain at 1073, but the difference is marginal, and I'd consider the two more or less equivalent.

All ELSE being equal (cost, availability, reliability, etc), I'd take the hard cast bullet.

With these lightweight bullets better penetration is (arguably) more important than expansion. 380s in particular are known to deflect easily, have trouble passing through thick (ie winter) clothes, etc, and I think better penetration helps.

Not incidentally, supposedly the BB +P 380s are fairly tough on guns, and will noticeably accelerate wear and tear on the Kel-Tecs. Don't know about Kahr, but its probably wisest to keep use of this type of ammo down to a reasonable minimum.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I carry Fiocchi 90grJHP, FXT bullet about 1080fps. They feed good in my Kel-Tec.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I use to do a lot of experimenting, with Remington Golden Sabre 103 grain HP's. Shooting my 9mm reloads into quart bottles of water.

On impact the jackets would separate, at approximately 30 degrees from the bullets axis. The jackets held together in one piece. It always appeared to me. That the jackets would cause quite substantial, shrapnel type damage to tissue. While the flatened core penetrated through the target.

My 9mm loads though, were probably were at least 1350 FPS. Substantially faster then the Buffalo Bore 380's.
  • Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression that the Kahr Series had polygonal rifles and you were not supposed to use lead? I do realize people use what works well in their own guns, according to their skill and familiarity. For what its worth I have a Kahr CW45 and its been an awesome little pistol, great for CC.

Personally. I would carry the Buffalo Bore. I hope I don't open a can of worms here. But! With a round as marginal as the .380 (INCOMING!) I would prefer complete penetration over the violent expansion of the HP ammo.
  • Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything I heard says .380s need penetration to do the job. And that to do the job one needs to use non expansion bullets. Has this changed?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've a Kahr TP45 that shoots light lead loads without leading but haven't tried hot lead loads thru it.
    87 gr at 945fps from a P3AT using hot Spanish TC Santa Barbara is what I got. It wasn't nice to shoot. Shooting it through a heavier Remington 51 didn't make it more pleasant.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The hard cast Buffalo Bore bullets don't seem to lead the Kahr barrel.