In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What scope should i put on this?

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a factory Ruger 77/22 magnum Heavy barrel stainless laminated target rifle and cant decide on what power range and type of scope to use, Does it have to be a "rimfire" scope? It will be used for informal target shooting But it is mostly a Hunting rig
for Tree squirels on up to Coyotes.I am a leupold man, but would consider others for this rimfire rifle.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Target shooting will take you to about 250 yds., whereas coyotes will show up suddenly at ranges from "right there!" to several hundred yds.; so I would recommend any 3-9 variable with a fixed objective that's at least 40mm. Your personal preference for tube/ring size will guide you the rest of the way.
    Hope you like still hunting; that puppy's going to wear on you if you have to lug it up & down a lot of hills.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    The Simmons Aatecs that I have mounted for several people have been impressive to me as far as quality from the clarity and also the repeatability. The 2.8-10 is a fixed objective while the 3.8-12 is PA. Also for some more money, the Nikon Monarch 3x9 would do a great job as well as the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14. Put a good glass on it and you won't be sorry!!! GHD