In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt 1908 vest pocket

99hino99hino Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a colt 1908 that is in perfect condition. The gun is engraved on about 80% of the gun. With a serial number of 42xxx. My question is most 1908 have a colt stamped on the left side of the slide. Mine does't it just has the engraving. Does that mean that this is a factory colt engrave job? I am currently biding on colt factory pearl grips for this gun,how much would this gun be worth?

ryan freeman

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    How to tell if factory or Bubbaized? You're just going to have to shell out the big bucks for a factory letter. Last one I got was a hundred or so, but it's worth it. Everybody is just guessing without it.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Ryan,

First off, welcome to the boards. I assume that since you said a vest pocket model you are referring to the .25 cal. The model 1908 was also made in 380 cal. Photo's of your Colt would be more helpful to us if you could post them. Factory engraved Colt's do not as a rule have the horse logo on the slide.

In the condition you describe, your gun could be worth more money than most. Since these factory engraved guns shipped with pearl grips, it seems your original grips have been replaced.

Blue_car.gif

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The earlier Vest Pocket Colts had no Rampant Colt on the slide. If your slide has 16 serrations, it is an earlier slide that never had the Rampant Colt. If it has 14 serrations, it should have the Rampant Colt. The break between 16 and 14 serrations occurred at about 77330, but no later than 85872. This pistol falls in that range so should not have the Rampant Colt.

Contrary to what njretcop says, not all engraved pistols had pearl stocks, although it was a common feature of engraved guns. If you think the pistol is factory-engraved, the cost of a letter is worth the investment since factory engraving adds a lot to the value, whereas non-factory engraving detracts greatly from the value, except to those attracted to that feature.

Value depends on whether the engraving is factory, and other factors.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    A Colt price list from the 1930's mentions the following costs for stocks on .25 ACP 1908: PERAL STOCKS-- plain @$6 and carved @$9.75. IVORY STOCKS-- plain @$6.25 and carved @$15. Back at that time my Grandfather was earning 60 cents an hour ($24 per week) as a bus driver for the City of Los Angeles and my Grandmother earned $15 per week as a secretary for the Southern California Edison Company. A $15 set of carved ivory stocks (or even $6 peral) would be a MAJOR cost option on these pistols so I am sure that the Judge is right that many people passed up on the extra expense.

By the way, His Honor always make it a point (among many fine points which he makes--although he does not post often enough) that these are called STOCKS and not grips. The Colt list clearly refers to these as STOCKS as does all other factory Colt literature I've ever seen on their pistols. It appears that as far as Colt was concerned those slabs of wood, peral, or ivory on their pistols are STOCKS. I am no Colt expert by a long shot, but you can clear up any doubts by simply getting a factory letter and I see no reason not to take advantage of this service. If your pistol is correct and in the perfect condition you describe, the letter will confirm the fact it is original and will increase its value well beyond the cost of the letter itself. I'd be contacting Harford ASAP and get this out of the way.

Mark T. Christian