In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Granpa's Guns

A Country Boy Can SurviveA Country Boy Can Survive Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
Thanks to everyone here for their help on the identification and valuation of my Great-grandfather's Colt Lightning. I visited my Grandfather in Texas this past week and he asked me, "Do you know how to field strip a 1911?" This conversation resulted in his showing me a couple other family heirlooms. He did not give them up yet, but I cleaned and lubed them, and told him I would see what I could find out:

First was his issue sidearm in WWII: Remington Rand 1911. I do not have any pictures. Right side is marked: UNITED STATES MILITARY PROPERTY, NO. 10064XX M1911A1 U.S. ARMY. It shows what appear to be crossed cannons in a circle just behind the right grip panel. The left side reads: Remington Rand Inc. Syracuse, NY USA. "FJA" below slide release, P marked by magazine release, another P marked on the top of the slide in front of the rear sight. The pistol has a parkerized finish with a few scratches here and there, but zero rust. It has the reddish colored bakelite grip panels and a lanyard loop. It does not have the original magazine, but I had an extra I gave him. J

The second was left to him by my maternal great grand-father. It is a Smith and Wesson 5-shot, top-break revolver. It has a deep blue-black finish that looks almost new with the exception of some rubbing near the muzzle and a few barely visible rust spots near the grip. It has a 3.5" barrel and black plastic grips. It has a hammer-mounted firing pin and a case hardened hammer. The right side shows the S&W trademark, and all visible numbers match 4892X. The left side reads 38 S&W CTG. Along the top of the barrel it reads," Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Mass, USA, PT'D Aug 4 96 Dec 22 96 Oct 8 01 Feb 8 06 Sept 14 08.

Both guns are in perfect working order, he had the revolver loaded with 3 38 S&W cartridges for his defense piece, they looked like a short 38 special. Is this gun safe for him to fire with modern ammunition? What are the approximate values and dates of manufacture for these 2 guns? Any other info about their history would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The US government has no interest in prosecuting those who stole weapons during WWII, so Grandpa doesn't have to worry about the FBI coming after him for the .45. The Remington Rand is worth at least $500 if it has been refinished; if all original, it could be worth in the $1,000-1,200 range. Look at the "FJA" with a 10x magnifier; if you can see burnishing (bare metal) within the letters, the finish is original. Check for an "HS" marked barrel, which was also original.

The "most correct" mag was made by General Shaver (division of RR) and is marked G on top of the lip. Mags marked R or S would also be considered possible.

Neal