In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm Magnum Recoil Reduction

Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

I just got a great deal on a new Ruger 7mm Magnum for one case of 223 ammo and three golf clubs. This weekend a friend, that has the exact rifle all set up, took it to the range to let me try it out. I would say that it has a little more kick than your average '06. My question is what is/are the best products and techniques to reduce recoil and is this rifle worth spending the time and money to fix up. The other option is the auction block. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vais or KDF break installed by a gunsmith. Louder,...but definitely softer.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    I have a 77 Ruger in 7mm Rem mag. I bought one of those shoulder pad thingees for like $20. It tamed the kick right down. Hardly noticeable with a recoil pad strapped to your shoulder. If I'm gonna shoot more then 20 rounds or so, I put the pad on otherwise I just deal with the recoil, its not really all that bad as long as your not a flincher.. Occasionally when I fire it for the first time I forget to move my head back a little bit extra and the scope whacks me in the glass's.. Lets your know you shooting sumpin with a lil kick is all *winks*

Edit:

It is fun to shoot. I took it to the range last weekend and fired 10 rounds thru it. There was this pesky chunk of steel at the 200 yard line that wouldn't go down from .223 or 7.62x39, so I figured I'd see if the 7mm would take it down, it did on the 2nd shot. It was a piece of steel about 2 inchs thick and 12"x12" or so (maybe 75 lbs), set on top of a railroad rail buried in the ground.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SilverBox, Yes, it readjusted my baseball cap each time I shot it but I made sure that my eye relief was as far back as possible. Thanks for your response.

JustC, Is there any pros or cons regarding the two manufactures that you recommended. I kind of like buying the best product the market has to offer seeing that I am not making the modifications for resale of the rifle.

Jim
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before spending the considerable amount for a muzzle brake, I'd consider replacing the factory hard rubber butt pad with an aftermarket pad, such as a Pachmyer Decelerator or Kick-eeze. Installed by a competent gunsmith or very handy home do-it-yourselfer, the costs would be around $60 for the smith and $27 yourself. Personally, I have two 7 mags using the Ruger M77 action - a standard 7mm Rem Mag and a customized 7mm Dakota. The aftermarket butt pads have tamed both to a very managable level.

A 7mm Rem Mag has about 20% more felt recoil than a 30-06 - that's because it has about 20% more powder pushing the same weight bullet down the bore.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brakes work by redirecting the muzzle gas backwards, recoil reductions of 20-35% are common, along with a major increase in noise level. As JustC noted, they need to be fitted by a compatent gunsmith.
    First things I suggest you try would be 4-6oz of lead in both the butstock and the forend (more weight, less recoil) and a new recoil pad, the ones Kdub suggested are excelent.
    One other thing would be to change your bench shooting technique. Sit up so your back is streight, not hunched over the rifle. Build a "riser" to mount your bags on if necessory. Keep your off hand rigid, pushing slightly forward with it. This will spread the recoil across your upper torso, instead of concintrating it into one shoulder.
    Finaly, (only because I'm a sadistic SOB [}:)]) find someone that will let you shoot a box (or two) of ammo out of a "boomer" (416Rigby level and up), which will train you quite quickly [B)] on how to handle recoil (see techniques above). After that you will find that your 7mm Mouse-gun don't kick bad at all.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "7mm Mouse-gun" ouch...[B)] I thought that .223 was the mouse gun. [:D] I thought when it said MAGNUM on the barrel it was a Big Bad Buckin Bronco.

Thanks for the feed back!

Jim
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Handload for it would be the best option. The 7 mag can be loaded to 7x57 mauser levels which is a joy to shoot, competent for deer size game and doesn't play havoc on your ears like a muzzle brake will. I have a braked rifle which I use plugs and muffs to make the shooting session enjoyable.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I hear,..the Vais is slightly less noisy, and therefore slightly less efficient. I like the way they look, when they are turned down to match the barrel, as the KDF if more bulky looking. The difference is looks vs slightly more performance from the KDF. I put the Vais on my 300RUM and it has done a nice job,..but the rifle is 16+ lbs,...so my experience will differ from yours[:D] I ahve no KDF breaks so all I can add is that my Vais is a nice addition to a healthy caliber.

The recoil pad and added weight should help. Weight always helps.

brakes will be an expense of probably $200 parts and labor for stainless, blued slightly less.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an alternative to Pachmayr and Kick-Eez. It is a new product named LimbSaver made by Sims Vibration Laboratory. These recoil pads are available in grind-to-fit as well as prefit for some specific models.

www.limbsaver.com

Another solution is the stock itself. Ruger stocks are notorious for bad fit as well as poor recoil control and reduction. A good stockmaker can be the very best solution for recoil control. But lacking the desire to pay for a custom made stock, the alternative is to check out the synthetic stocks that are available from several sources. There are also laminated and solid wood stocks that can be ordered from a handful of stock carving houses, either semi-finished or completely finished if you supply the barreled action for fitting.

Regards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I should say Thanks to all of you for your responce prior to the locking of the post. I will let you know how I tame the "mouse" gun... Have a good day!

Jim