In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Luger P-08

hoseman240hoseman240 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just recieved a P-08 Luger from my Grandfather. He brought it back from Germany during WWII. It is a 1937 Model with Nazi markings. It is a complete numbers match gun including the clip. I also have the leather holster and a .22 cal conversion kit in wooden box, however the numbers don't match the Luger. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the history of the gun and what it might be worth. I'm not interested in selling, but would like some idea what it should be insured for. I plan on mounting the gun in a shadow box and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks,

Hoseman

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Luger is worth in the $500-1,500 range, depending upon original finish or reblue, percentage of finish remaining, ALL markings on the gun, including those on the back of the grips, percentage of straw on small parts, bore condition, etc. We also need a better description of the conversion kit, but it is worth quite a bit.

I recommend against a shadow box. If it has a glass front, it may trap moisture & the gun will rust. In any case, this brings back memories of the Columbine murders: One of the perps broken into his grandfather's gun display case; had it not been for that, the murders would not have taken place. The responsible, adult thing to do is to lock all guns in a safe or a steel lock box.

If you want to display guns, buy reproductions.

Neal
  • Options
    hoseman240hoseman240 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess the gun is probably about 80%. Almost all bluing is original and intact with some holster wear on the end of the barrel and small protruding edges. It has no rust and the bore is in near perfect condition. The grips are original with the left grip having an "S" on the back and the right grip having an "05" on the back. (Matching the "2905" serial.) The gun is almost identical to Item #9844123 except it has never been refinished and is in better condition. The grips aren't chipped and show almost no wear. It also has "S42" on top of the toggle.

It has a small "T" under the serial number on the front of the frame and three markings on the right side of the frame. The first two appear to be a bird with the number "63" or "G3" under it. The last and the mark on the barrel appear to be a pheonix or something similar.

I located a picture on the internet that appears very similar, (don't have a digital camera yet. coming soon.)http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/pr2349.htm
    This gun is in much worse condition than the gun I have, but the markings appear identical.

The .22 conversion is a small wooden box with .22 barrel, clip, and toggle. It also has the loading tool.

As far as the shadow box, the responsible adult thing to do is to teach your children how to handle weapons and bring them up right and you won't have to worry about things like Columbine. I had planned on removing the lever inside the sideplate to keep it from firing. However, the Luger is kept locked up in my gun safe at present. I was planning on displaying the shadow box in the center with his flag on the right and various medals on the left.

Hope this clears up some of the description questions.

Hoseman
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    You need to talk to our Very own LUGER Expert..Ralph Shattuck, Auther of WORLD of LUGERS...
    <Ralph@WorldOfLugers.com> or <Ralph@lugers.com> Just tell Him your A member of gunbroker....He'll be happy to be of assisstance....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The wood box would tend to indicate that the conversion unit is a pre WWII edition and these sell for $600 to $1000 depending on the over all condition. My opinion on displaying firearms is that you may do this anyway you please...while you or your guests are sitting around to admire them. When guns are not actively on display (someone there to actually look at them) there is no reason not to secure them. This is not going to be a self defense pistol so keeping it handy is not an issue so put the shadow box back in the vault when you are not looking at it. Even if you get the equivelent insurance money (the point of your question I believe) it will not replace the sentimental value of your Grandfather's Luger.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    May I recommend you visit the LugerForum site? The experts there can really assist you with respect to your Luger.

The link is: http://www.lugerforum.com

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
    Resident Pyrrhonist