In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1911 Civilian

UintahUintah Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have an early colt 1911 serial # C 12xxx. The serial number is on the right side of the frame, just above the trigger. Are there any other locations where the serial number is stamped or marked as I have heard of matching numbers, but am not familiar with the 1911? This pistol also has a small stamp of a crown above a V near the colt horse emblem on the back of the slide, could this be an english proof mark? The pistol is in rough but functionable condition with no bluing except in protected areas and some external pitting. Am considering a restoration if possible? Thanks to any colt collectors who may share any information.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what the crown/V markings is, but it's definitely not English; I'd guess Danish, but that's only a guess. There are a bunch of different inspector marks used by Colt over the years, and this could well be one of them.

The only other place that Colt stamped the serial # is under the firing pin stop plate on the slide, but I believe that your gun is not in the series with this. It really doesn't matter, since "restoring" your gun is not possible; the BEST that you could hope for after spending a couple thousand dollars would be a "professionally refinished" gun.

Neal

Neal
  • madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello and welcome.

The early colts did not put the serial number anywhere except on the frame. If the gun is all original sometimes refinishing it would deminish the value if there were sufficient finish left on it.

However, if you do want to refinish it I would recommend sending it to a professional shop to have it done, this would diminish the value but give you an excellent shooting gun in the process.

I have sent a gun to RSE Custom in CA and Fords Custom in FL and they have made nice "shooters" of fine old guns with nice refinishing jobs.

I think these fine old guns deserve good homes!

There are many forums devoted to this fine piece of Americana just do a search for "1911" you will be surprised what you find and pleased too!

If you had posted pictures of this gun for all to see they would be able to help you even more than without a picture and be able to tell you if it had all the right parts on it.

As with any old firearm, have it checked by a qualified person before firing it.

Welcome to the group.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun has!
  • UintahUintah Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the replies. I have been unsuccesful at transfering a picture with this message. This Colt pistol does have the early patent dates of APR. 20, 1897. SEPT. 9, 1902. DEC. 19, 1905. FEB. 14, 1911. AUG 19, 1912. on the left side of the slide. On the left slide it also has COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A. On the right slide it is stamped: COLT AUTOMATIC CALIBRE 45 and on the left frame just above the serial number is stamped: GOVERNMENT MODEL. It has the walnut checkered stocks(grips) with the smooth diamond shapes around the grip screws. Having great admiration for John Browning for his many Winchester patents I took special notice of the model 1911 Colt when I was given this old pistol. It appears from my minor research of 1911 web sights this pistol was produced in 1914. After a deep cleaning this pistol still slams the slide shut with authority and when the hammer is manually cocked it provides the crisp clicks as it locks back. Barrel has poor riflings, but believe this old gun would shoot fine. Have never supported the refinishing of original firearms as I believe the more original the better. This may be an exception as the external metal appearance is poor? Thank you for the replies and for any further information/advice as may come forth.
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Yes, your Colt was made in 1914.

If all original, with no blue, and only very light pitting, your commercial M1911 is worth in the $300 to $400 range.

I'd leave it just as it is. Early 1911s are getting more and more scarce, and the value can only go up.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Crown over V" proofmark on your Colt is English. It's the Inspection or "View" mark of the London Proof House. Very interesting that it's on a early Colt 1911. The British Officers of that era had to provide their own sidearms. Long as they bought it themselves, they could carry any handgun they wished, within reason.
    As 1914 was the year the First World War started, it not a stretch to imagine your Colt being carried and used in the trenches by some Limey.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not "restore" the pistol. ("Restore" is just another word for a good reblue.) "Restoration" will not increase the value enough to cover the cost, and another Old Soldier will have been desecrated. Keep it as is as a monument to its honorable service. It will not shoot any differently if "restored." I would get a factory letter on it to see if that reveals anything about its British connection.