In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Info About Cartier Tip-Up Pistol

JiggaJigga Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a Very Old Cartier Tip-Up .22cal S.S. Cartridge Target Pistol. It is German made and don't know much about it. Can anyone help out on this one? Email jhardesty@seidata.com
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldn't find anything specific regarding your Cartier pistol.
    It would help if you could provide a photo(s) and/or describe the proof marks.
    In my experience this general class of single shot target pistols were popular in Europe during the 50 years preceding, the First World War.
    They were known by various names depending on country of origin. Yours being German was probably sold as a ZIMMERSTUZEN. They are also known as a "Saloon Gun" or "Monte Cristo". Many of the more common ones utilize the "Flobert" action. Some of the latter, more expensive ones are similar to the Stevens Pistols made in the U. S. A.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would be glad to post a pic, but I am not sure how on this board. It is a tip up single shot and has multiple German proof marks on it. It has almost a 12" barrel with 4.5" from the reciever octagon shaped the middle of barrel is round and 5.25" the end is octagon and 2" long. It has wood checkered grips. On the left side on barrel it has 0,15 grN.G.P. m/71. under that it says 2,14grBI on the bottom of the barrel it says BG then U 611 B The BG & U have proof marks above them. The right side of Reciever has B & U with proof marks above them. The front sight says Marble No.5 That is all the info on the gun. It does have a Stevens type look to it. But let me know if this helps. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have a real nice high quality target pistol there.
    The markings you describe are standard German Proofs found on commercial firearms dating from the last years of the 19th century till W W I. Roughly 1890/1910.

1), Crown over "U" is final definitve proof.

2), Crown over "B" is proof for a firearm that has undergone proof in a finished condition.

3), Crown over "G" is proof for rifled barrels.

The proofs on the barrel relate to proving with smokeless or semismokeless powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How would I go about finding a value of these? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You'll have better results posting to this link. Most of these guys are big buck German collectors, with connections in Europe, they if anybody, would be better able to give you information on your target pistol, or at least point you in the right direction.
    To say the least, a lot of water has gone under the bridge in the "FATHERLAND" since your pistol first saw the light of day. The Krauts started and lost, two world wars, Communism, Germany divided and occupied (twice), etc. etc. Don't get your hopes up!

http://www.germanguns.com/q_a.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man, I checked these people out and boy do they know their stuff. This guy I have been talking with identified 3 old German guns I had in no time flat. Needless to say he was impressed with them. Thank You for the help on this issue. I love these forums!