In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help, magazine spring grease?

BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
edited July 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am going to clean my Uzi mags that fit my Colt AR-15 "type" rifles in 9mm NATO. I have noticed the springs are greased with some rather sticky grease. I need input from the Experts as to what to use to degrease them and then to re-grease them. I guess this will hold true for any mag I clean in the future. Does anyone know where you can obtain this sticky grease for the springs, or is good gun oil sufficient. Thanks, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

NRA Life Member

Comments

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got done with this procedure for some HK mags. I just used hot soapy water and an old toothbrush to clean them and lightly oiled the springs and inside of the magazine bodies before re-assembly. Worked great for me.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try some gun scrub, toothbrush, then lightly oil mag frame, works for me every time i have had to do it.
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drop the whole thing into some mineral spirits, give it a brush and reoil it. No need for more grease. Take the mag apart if you feel like it, but mineral spirits should wash the guck out nicely.
  • Options
    Myra-LouMyra-Lou Member Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Brake Drum cleaner at wal-mart in the automotive section.....cheap, fast, drys quick.......then use CLP to Oil spring
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Boom, that brown sticky grease is most likely Cosmoline, placed there by the supplier or manufacturer to prevent rust from long-term storage.
    Most mags will come new with Cosmoline in them (or some other goo).
    Just get rid of it if you're going to use the mags, and lightly oil the springs, bottom/sides of follower, and inside the bottom half of the body.
    If you're not going to use them right away, just make sure there's enough goo on all parts to keep air off them and store in a cool, dry place.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, I never thought of that. If this does turn out to be Cosmoline, will mineral spirits dissolve it? Thanks for the input.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Yep, any soap or petroleum distillate will dissolve it (some more slowly than others[xx(]).
    PS: mags/guns work best without the cosmoline[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    See guys! I can too answer in a non-sarcastic manner! Maybe even with the correct answer![;)]

And yes, they do operate more smoothly without all that gurp on them.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!