In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SAKO, Garcia 7mm finnbear

bud_light_goodbud_light_good Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have just bought a Sako,7mm,finnbear,L61r,

my question is this experts, it is maked garcia era under the barrel, not pre, how long did they mark the gun this way,and what is the value, the gun looks as if i has only had a box of shells through it, serial number is, 762XX, thanks in advance!!!

Terry

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Terry,
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your questions about value and date of manufacture. You have one of the finest bolt actions ever made (IMHO)
    Congratulation and enjoy!
  • Options
    JudgeRoyBeanJudgeRoyBean Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although Sako "Garcia" rifles are considered to be good, they are not considered to be "as good" as Pre-Garcia Sako rifles.

In 1972, Garcia Sporting Goods acquired the rights to import the Sako Rifle. When Garcia did this, they had Sako rifles manufactured to their own specifications changing some of the features and manufacturing techniques that were used prior in the "Pre-Garcia" models. This change resulted in the general shooting public deciding that the Sako rifles were "cheapened" by Garcia in 1972. This cheapening of these rifles is reflected in the prices as shown in the Blue Book of Gun Values. The Blue Book lists values for the "Pre-Garcia, (pre-1972 manufactured guns)." The Blue Book prices for the "Garcia" models is: "Subtract 25% for Post-1972 models." An obvious price difference between these guns!

I have and do own some of the Sako rifles, both Pre-Garcia and Garcia marked models. My own close examination of these guns reveals nothing to me that seems to be of any difference.....but, that is only my opinion. Either gun seems to function and fire as well as the other, in my opinion. I am unable to discern any difference. Someone else might, but I'm not sure how they could. My opinion, only.

Regarding value, you will also find depending on the model, (type of stock), there is a difference also. You will have to determine the condition of the rifle AND the Model, (Deluxe, Standard Sporter, Heavy Barrel Model, Full Stock Model, etc.), in order to find the value for the Pre-Garcia gun and then "Subtract 25% for the Garcia Model." Meanwhile, enjoy a very fine rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks experts, my next questions is as follows,

How could sako mark there guns before 1972, as pre garcia,they must of intended to sell to there guns too Garcia from the start,or just had a lucky insite, lol , how lond did garcia stay in business, and how long did they put there stamp under the barrel,the whole time they had the business,I am asking because someone told me they only stamped there guns right after they took over from sako in 1972, thanks again experts!!!

Terry
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Pre-72s aren't marked "pre-garcia", they just don't say imported by Garcia the way the post 72 guns do. -- To the best of my recollection Garcia imported them from the early 70s to some time in the late 80s but I can't be exact...........good luck.....[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    next question,

what year is my sako, serial 762XX.thanks again experts,

Terry