In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vaquero .40 S&W How rare is it?

TriggerskillTriggerskill Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
I've been trying to research the Ruger Vaquero .40 S&W. I've heard it's rare, but no one has been able to give me an idea of production numbers or value. Any clues?[8)]

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember that there were 500 4&4/8 inch barrels and 500 5&1/2 inch barrels made for Davidsons. Check www.Ruger.com for the years made.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Also a special run for a Police department in california that wanted to shoot the same ammo as their service guns. The officers objected to buying their own guns after they were produced, and they hit the open market. A friend has a pair of them, IIRC they are 5.5" stainless guns. They are marked with the PD info, but I forget which one.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Vaquero in 40 S&W? Really?
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall seeing ads for the 40's. Believe at least some were offered as 38-40/40 S & W dual cylinders. Wanted one to go with my Buckeye 38-40/10 mm but didn't get to it in time.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    yes they where made in 40s&w, how many I don't know , but I'm sure the number is not very high
  • Options
    2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This model is a single cylinder .40 S&W Vaquero.

ruger404.jpg

These models are .38-40/.40 S&W convertible Vaqueros (two cylinders)

ruger38x.jpg

Info provided by the "Red Eagle News Exchange".

If you have the box, then you know which model you have, if not..

Call Sturm, Ruger & Co @ 603-863-3300 ask for records. Give them the serial# and they will tell you the exact model you have and the ship date.

Good Luck and hope you have a good one.