In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR upper

SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
When does an upper qualify as a firearm when dealing in SBR terms?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the barrel is shorter that 16" its an SBR.

There are shorter barrels that are either Class III or registered as pistols.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Your question is not very clear, but an AR upper is never going to be a "firearm". As far as when an AR becomes a SBR would be when you put a upper that has a shorter then 16" bbl on a RIFLE registerd lower, then the whole gun would become an SBR. I say rifle registered lower since you can put a less then 16" bbl on a pistol registed lower as long as NO stock is attached. Doing what I described above is NOT legal. I know someone else will be along with a little more details but basicaly you need to fill out an ATF (I belive Form 1) for manufacturing a SBR. That required fingerprints, photos, CLEO signature, and pay the $200 tax. Once all of that is done and comes back APROVED from the ATF then you can put it together and be LEGAL.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've recently seen several here on the GB auctions where the seller states it must be shipped to an FFL. WTH is up with that?
  • Options
    SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was what I meant by my original question, does it need to go to an FFL simply because of it's barrel length.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [If the barrel is shorter that 16" its an SBR.

There are shorter barrels that are either Class III or registered as pistols./quote]
    Short answer...YES! The ones I saw were 22" and 24 " barrels and no M-16 parts.