In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recommendation for hunting rifle

kalifornia_dreemingkalifornia_dreeming Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to add my first rifle to my collection. This is intended to be a hunting / wilderness survival weapon. I belive that I want a 30-06, as I could use it for dear, bear, elk, or what have you...

Any recommendations on a rifle that is not TOO damn expensive?

I was thinking the remington 7400. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    kalifornia_dreemingkalifornia_dreeming Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh - and a recommendation for a scope would be very welcome also...
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, I would recommend a bolt action as opposed to an autoloader.They're simpler in design, easier to clean, more reliable in the field under less than ideal conditions, easier to reload for, and under most conditions, they're more accurate. I would say all manufactures make a good 30-06. Don't laugh, but there is a real nice Marlin MR-7 30-06 for sale on gunbroker for a decent starting bid. They weren't made very long, but they're really nice rifles. If Remington is your preference, e-mail me. I have a superbly accurate 700BDL for sale. As far as scopes go, that's a wide open area, but I think a 2.5-10 or something in that range would be the best. As far as brands of scopes, that's a tough one because there are so many out there that are good scopes. Just depends on what kind of money you want to spend. I think my preference would be a Nikon Gold 30mm, but everybody loves Burris and Leupold as well. Here's another one that most people will scoff at. I just bought a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Scope in 6.5-20 for my varmint rifle. It's a really nice scope. I couldn't be happier with it if it said any other brand. I doubt you'd find as good a scope for the same money in Leupold or Burris either, but that's just my opinion, and you're sure to get a bunch with this thread.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with hadjii a bolt action would be the way to go my personal choice would be the ruger model 77 stainless/synthetic too many scopes out there i have no knowledge of to comment on that but i guess 3x-9x is a good choice
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a used but clean 30-06 put a Burris scope of the lowest power variable you can use on it. Mount the scope with with Burris Signature mounts. I like very low power on the low end. Moving bears are hard to see with a 3X scope and a pack of meat on your back. My personal preference is 1.5X6 Burris Signature scopes, but you will find that most folks recommend what they have bought and use, I'm no different.

A 30-06 with premimum 180 grain bullets will serve your needs very well.

You will NEVER-EVER find a situation that will not be served by the above combo on this side of the world.
  • Options
    nralifersnralifers Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are a one rifle guy (it appears that you are) a 7MM Rem. Mag. is about the best you can do. You can hunt grounghogs to bears, just the same, short range or "long range". 30-06 is a fine caliber and will be fine, but the 7MM is more "all around". Scopes---buy a variable power---the best you can afford.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you included wilderness survival in your uses I wouldn't recomend a semiauto. To many variables to go wrong. Shooting food it needs to go bang, defending your life it must go bang. A bolt would serve you much better. You could consider a pump if rapid fire is a requirement, better then the semiauto, not as reliable as the bolt. And generally you can get more accurate distance from a bolt than other actions. 7mm is a good suggestion, along with the 30-06, or one of the 300 mags. As far as the 30-06 goes although not as flat a shooter as the mags it is a good 300 yards hunting cartridge and you can buy ammo anywhere ammo is sold and in many combanations. If I was going to only shoot one round 180 grain bonded bullet would be my choice.

Scout
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another note to add. I recently put a lot of thought into, and asked questions on this site, trying to find one rifle for everything. Since I will be using the rifle in Alaska as well as the plains I decided on a Tikka rifle in 300 wsm. As far as optics I'll go with "the best I can afford" I hope to acqiure mine and be ready to hunt with it this fall. But I am going to keep my Savage 30-06 and Bushnel Trophy 3x9 for a back up rifle. Because you can buy shells anywhere and it works.

Scout
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kalifornia wrote: "This is intended to be a hunting / wilderness survival weapon."

For what you want, if new go Rem 7600 in 30-06. There are very good bargains in the older Rem 760. The slide action is simple, easy to clean and very positive for reliability. The stopping power of heavy bullets in the 30-06 is legend. The slide action has a carbine length barrel that makes it fast, handy and with follow-up shots as fast or faster then a semi-auto. In terms of wilderness survival, any tiny store in a remote area that stocks ammo will have 30-06 for sale.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If bears are included, I'd step it up a notch with a .300 Win Mag in a Stainless Steel bolt action rifle.
  • Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For less than $500.00 you can have a used Remington and quality new glass. Most used 700s are in the $300 neighborhood and a good 4X Burris or Leupold will set you back another $200.00 This combination will take the abuse and remain dependable with minimal TLC.
    A good second choice would be a rifle/shotgun combination if one can be found in thirty calibre. IIRC, there was a .30-30/12ga combo available some years ago, but finding one is the trick.
    My last choice would be the venerable model 94 Winchester. Some might scoff at this last suggestion, but the .30-30 has kept many a trapper safe for over 100 years.