In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

5mm Remington Question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
Would it be possible to convert a 5mm Remington to a 17HMR via boring out the barrel and installing a 17HMR barrel liner?

Comments

• Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes and no. The Hornady bullets with the polymer bullets are longer than the old 5mm and they will not fit in a detachable magazine. I have not checked with the tubular magazine. I need to check the Hollow Point bullets as they may be shorter and fit. I am looking at a conversion for my gun as well.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a place that you can get 5mm brass/dies to reload just send the gun and they change the bolt to center fire.MAybe someone will think of the name.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine had a 5mm Rem, but it seemed to me that the bore was larger than .17", which if it is, would make boring out to .17" not an option, but I could be incorrect about the size- It was nearly 30 years ago.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray,

"...boring out the barrel and installing a 17HMR barrel liner?"

The liner is larger in diameter than the 5mm groove depth so the barrel has to be reamed or drilled to size.

You're right though, 5mm = 0.19685"

Best.

ADDED:

Here is a company that will sell you the kit to convert your rifle:

http://www.qual-cart.com/5mm_Remington_Magnum.htm
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    There are two center fire conversions for these rifles and the ONLY one I use and recommend is the Schroeder. You simply drive out the pin and install the front part of the bolt which has the firing pin, extractor, etc. There may be a little fitting here as all bolts and actions aren't identical and headspacing is required also.

They have brass and bullets too. There are other makers of .2045 bullets also. Calhoon is one, haven't tried them yet.

CH-4D and RCBS both make dies. I chose the RCBS.
    Call Steve Schroeder at 619-423-3523 or 619-423-8124 usually after 3:00 PM PST.

Another feature that only Schroeder's conversion has is that you can replace the original bolt part and go back to rimfire IF and WHEN someone decides to make the stuff again.
    He'll send you a huge list of odd-ball brass and bullets they make.

Oops! Phone area code is 760, NOT 619.
    Sorry,- first mistake I ever made.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see by Blue Book that unless this is nearly mint, there's little collectability, so it probably will work as SP45 has said. However, unless this is a project for you and/or has some personal reason, I wonder if the work/expense of having it lined will work out since Savage and Marlin make quite accurate rifles at relatively little expense as do Remington and Ruger. Seems that liners were a last resort that may or may not turn into an accurate shooterand it seems they were always stessing low pressure/low velocity ammo. Things may have changed in how things are done to correct that problem.
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell the 5MM and buy a .17HMR - I think that would be the best way to go - or keep the 5MM and buy a .17HMR - there are many good and relatively inexpensive ones out there to chose from. I can understand why you would want to use the 5MM as the basis for your .17HMR if the trigger on yours is as clean and crisp as the triggers on all of mine. Just my opinion... ghs