In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Long term ammo storage

Stylishxone767Stylishxone767 Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have been storing ammo for my weapons for that rainy day when everything goes to hell in the country and we are stuck fighting for ourselves. Does anyone have any tips or methods for storing ammo for the long term? Is there anything that can be done to prolong its life expectancy?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep it dry and cool. Metal ammo cans work well and you can throw in little desicant packs for added safety.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Store it and leave it alone. Don't open the containers, keep the climate controlled at the same temperature, don't just store it out in the shed where its damp one week and hot&dry the next. Airtight containers if possible. Desicant packs or damp rid to control humidity.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,372 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I buy 7.62 NATO sealed in battle packs exactly for this purpose. I have numerous wood cases with sealed battle packs inside. They won't be opened 'till the day they are needed.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you can't put them in an area that has good 'climate control'. If you had full climate control, you wouldn't need the box/desicant/crate/etc. so much.

One thing mentioned that is important with anything 'archived' is to leave it alone.

The best I can do is pack in good 50 cal cans with desicant, then put 4 in each crate (That pretty much limits movement). If you pack it away with general care, and leave it, it should still be good to go when you are gone.

I am thankful I do not have a wife or kids that are anti-gun.
    Teach them young, teach them right, they will enjoy it and carry on. America will need them.