In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win #94

JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
In an estate I have come across a Winchester Model 94 in caliber 38/55. It is a take down model with a full lenght magazine. It looks as though it is brand new. No scrathes at all and the blue is perfect everywhere. Does anyone have any idea what this thing is worth? Serial number is 431XXX
Thank you for the time

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pics would help and more detailed description
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    JK Just slip it in a box and send it to me for a personal appraisal.[:D]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JK
    In an estate I have come across a Winchester Model 94 in caliber 38/55. It is a take down model with a full lenght magazine. It looks as though it is brand new. No scrathes at all and the blue is perfect everywhere. Does anyone have any idea what this thing is worth? Serial number is 431XXX
    Thank you for the time

It should be a Model 1894. Does it have an octagon or round barrel? How long is the barrel? Pistol grip or straight grip? Amy other specialorder features other than being a Takedown?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun is not in my possession at this time. I put a $100 Binder on it just because it looked so nice. I'm figuring it has to be at least 50 years old. It has a full octagon (Hex?) barrel and it is at least 24 inches long. It has a straight grip. It's a thing of beauty to look at as it didn't have a scratch on it. The wood work is perfect and it's a little on the heavy side. I also do not have a picture of it.
    Thanks for any help
  • Options
    toolsforfoolstoolsforfools Member Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a keeper.Do everything in your power to get it.If you don't somebody else will and be very happy.Sounds like a great gun.Should be a good shooter to if it's in that good of condition!
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my records say that gun i made between 1907& 1908. blue book says at 98 percent $1950 to $350 at 10 percent. 20% more for takedown. but realistically in the condition you quoted, $1000 to $1500.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all so much for the help. My intentions are to take a ride and pick it up. My fingers are crossed.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redman.com1
    my records say that gun i made between 1907& 1908. blue book says at 98 percent $1950 to $350 at 10 percent. 20% more for takedown. but realistically in the condition you quoted, $1000 to $1500.

More likely it was manufactured in 1909/10, and if it is truly a 98% original condition Sporting Takedown Rifle octagon barreled 38-55, it would easily sell for $2500 in an auction such as Little John's. Heck, I would pony up $2500 for it!![:p][^]
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello JK:Well not that I'm a Winchester rifle expert, since I lean more towards the Shotgun side of Winchester. Since the date of manufacture has been "estimated from 1907-1910" very seldom does one run across a Winchester 96 plus years old in "brand new" condition. Even though it does happen, with the manufacturing processes Winchester had at the time, I would expect some blue thinning on the receiver, compared to the barrel.

These would be the areas to look very closely at: The bore should be excellent as well, the bolt face should have little to no primer ring around the firing pin hole. The stampings on the barrel, serial number, and tang area should all be nice and clear, sharp, crisp, and show no evidence of buffing, being washed out, or faint in any manor. The butt stock wood should be above the tang, not even with or below. Look closely at the butt plate, if the butt plate extends beyond the wood anywhere, that's a sign the wood has been redone. Look closely at all the screw head slots, you can tell if a screw head has been polished.

There are a few gunsmiths out there who specialize in the "Restoration" of Winchesters. Sometimes it can be a real challenge to tell an original from a good restoration. Of course our rifle experts here, can't tell you much without pictures, so all I can add is BE CAREFUL, look closely!

Regards Dave