In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Refinishing

JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
The thread about the Colt Python got me thinking. Prior to rebluing, does a gun have to be repolished? If it is in 100 percent condition, couldn't chemically stripping the old blue and then rebluing be done in such a way that it wouldn't look like it had been reblued?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Blackhawk revolver I bought used , it's in good shape but has a little holster wear. I would like to have it refinished, but I would like something besides blueing. I've seen things like hard chrome , electroless nickle , black chrome and NP3.

Has anybody used one of these? I have pretty sweaty hands , do any of these hold up well to that? I'm going to use the gun for hunting and I dont want to keep wiping the gun while I'm hunting. If I dont wipe a blued gun almost immediately my finger prints are permanently attached. Thanx in advance..

GO RED WINGS!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DO NOT REFINISH, DO NOT REFINISH, DO NOT REFINISH TO INFINITY!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a M1911 A1 that was in a fire, after a complete breakdown and cleaning it appears to be fine, except that the finish is ruined. I dont know a lot about refinishing so some suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks

Jon
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I can agree to a point. Not a good idea on milsurps or collectible guns. Unless they are in very poor condition to the point that value is nill anyway.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with Fatstrat, for most shooters that are pretty beat, it will not damage value, and some desperately need to be saved. That does beg the question of putting more into an old gun than it will ever be worth, but that is the owners decision, and several things could justify the cost.

Tell Doug Turnbull DO NOT REFINISH!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a refinished Mixed Parts Mongrel; my favorite gun!

Remington_1.jpg

Neal
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Do not refinish" -- is there a question? I just got through "refinishing" a Savage .32 semi automatic pistol. It was badly rusted and pitted all over the outside but like new inside, with excellent that were like new. I spent the time to clean, polish and nickel plate it. Like a lot of my fun projects I put in $500 worth of work into a piece that is worth half that when I finish. There are reasons for refinishing other than those related to value.

Been there, Done that!
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Do not refinish what? some guns are just begging to be brought back and used!
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    cartod is right. What if they are all rusted or pitted? You just let them sit in the closet? USE THEM, but make um nice first.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm about to reparkerize my M1 Garand :) Sooner or later I will probably do the same to my M1 Carbine. And I already refinished my Swedish 1896 mauser, it looks great. Why. I will never sell them. I don't care about their collectors value. I want them for my collection only, and I want to restore them. I touched up my win 94 with blue wonder, it looks great too.

I think there's nothing wrong with refinishing, other than it destroys the collectors value on the gun. But then again, I don't like collection rusty old relics. I prefer restored functional shooters. And I really enjoy restoring them. I don't know how many times I've spent more money restoring a gun than I could have bought one in better condition for. I feel the same as many do when they restore a car.

Of coarse if I were given some rare original piece that was more or less a one of a kind, I wouldn't touch the finish.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tubtechs I dont think you can blue lead filling I know it will melt out on a hot blue. tks hedge
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    My experience (limited) with lead filling is that it will cold blue, but does come out different. Could have been the alloy tho'