In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What garand replacement barrel?

richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
Who makes the best inexpensive Garrand barrel?

How do the wilson barrels stack up? $150

Are the Krieger's that the CMP is selling good quality? $165

Anyone else I should consider?

I had a rifle with a danish VAR, and want something of that quality or better, without big cost.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    KRUEGER'S ARE GOOD, I PUT A WILSON (FROM BROWNELL'S) ON FOR A CUSTOMER AND SHOT A <1" GROUP @ 100 YRDS. WITH MATCH AMMO.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just at a guess I would get the best one you can find. The cost of rebarreling a M-1 rifle is quite expensive and not something for a "home
    gunsmith" to tackle in most cases.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be willing to bet that unless you are routinely shooting High Master scores any barrel with a MZ of <2 will be capable of delivering more than sufficient accuracy. I have a restored Garand with its original 12-43 barrel that shot a 288-6X at the last JCG Match. No accurizing just a stock Garand. You can waste a lot of money on attempting to get "the perfect barrel". I believe you can achieve better scores through practice than simply buying a magic barrel...unless of course your barrel is completely shot out then you could replace it with Wilson, a Krieger, a Douglas, an uber expensive "Boots" Obermeyer, or any Springfield with a MZ of less than 2.Beach
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a nice surplus marlin 6 groove...
  • Options
    rlnblkrlnblk Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used barnet(douglas) barrels with good results.I have installed several wilson's for freinds they shot well.The original G I units are capable of fine acc. if the throat and muzzle are ok.I don't have any exp. with the criterion that the cmp sells it is a button rifled unit made by a "sister co."of kreiger not to be confused with the high end broach cut unit that sells for 300 plus dollars.If it was my gun and I planned to shoot matches I would go with the barnet get set of national match sights .I don't know what your shooting skills are but I will echo the sentiment of beechmaster 73 if your equipment is adequate the best way to improve scores is through practice.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Brownell's think they have them. www.brownells.com