In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Nagant to buy?

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
Have this empty spot in one of the rifle racks, was thinking about a Moisin-Nagant. Already shoot 8mm, 303, 30-06, 308, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62x39, 243, 223. 220 etc- so why not buy something that needs ANOTHER caliber of ammo !?!?!

However, have seen several different 7.62 Russian rifles. Prices are cheap on most- but which one should I get for a good shooter? Don't know if hex receiver is better, 91-30 vs M-44,etc. Suggestions from shooters of Russian iron?

Comments

• Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I have a few but I prefer the historical pieces.
    I also have a Tula M44 that's a 'blaster!'

I have a 1917 Remington with the Imperial Crest
    that is a very good shooter. I also have a 1945
    dated sako with the 1898 Tula receiver.

Bottom line ... is to find the best you can find in
    your price range - make sure the barrel is in
    fine shape - no cracked stock - matching
    bolt numbers are good, Tula's are very good.

Good luck! They are terrific rifles and much
    underrated by American shooters ... until
    they try one!
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I'd start out with the first model, a M91/30

MosinNagant1.jpg
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Rebel James, the 1st model was the model 1891, no "30" but I agree with your sentiment; the 91/30s can be had cheap often under $70. Find one with a good bore and crown and it will shoot 3" with surplus at 100y. A genuine 91 is a fine choice too, just a tad more money.

Finnish Mosins are a bit pricier but are the cadilacs of the type; I recommend the M39.

So far as the carbines go, my favorite is the 91/59.

I don't want to recommend any online dealers as so many are up right now on gunbroker, but if you are interested, send me an email via my profile link and I'll be happy to recommend a few reputable ones.

Jon
  • Options
    MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which ever one you choose, be prepared to be kicked. They all stomp like a mule.
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started out with a 91/30, have a M38 on the way, and plan to get the M44 with bayonet later. I have yet to fire mine. What MPinkston says I have heard from several people. Yeah, I'm getting around to it.
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a nice handpicked 91/30 from southernohiogun for $79, if you have a C+R or FFL.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I like the M44, compact and relatively easy to handle, although not a lightweight firearm by any means. Quality 7.62x54R ammo may be a bit scarce sometimes though.

Mosin_Nagant.jpg

I have started to reload my own ammo which may be an advantage with some of the Mosins. My barrel slugged out to be 0.3134(groove to groove) which is typical for this model. Most 7.62x54R ammo is loaded with 0.310 diameter bullets. My M44 would sometimes throw wild shots and wide groups. It really depends on the rifle because the bores can measure anywhere from 0.308 to as much as 0.316 in the Mosins.

I started reloading with Winchester brass and Hornady 0.312 diameter, 174 grain bullets and H414 powder. Amazing, but this combination works much better for accuracy than Wolf ammo or other surplus ammo I have tried. I haven't quite got the load optimized yet but I have had several two and three shot groups where all the shots touch each other. I also did some lapping on what looks like a new bore. So bottom line, Mosins are capable of some great accuracy given the proper care and feeding.

I think you would like a Mosin especially if like to experiment and fine tune your rifle.

Regards,

Heavyiron