In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Police Ofc. conceal carry laws

Stylishxone767Stylishxone767 Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am curious about police officers being able to carry off duty during interstate travel (no not on airplanes). I heard that Bush passed a federal law allowing for police officers to carry off duty in any state in the union. Are the states honoring this new law? What was the law prior to this? I am a police officer in Michigan, and I am about to take a trip to Chicago. What the position of the state of Illinois on this issue and what are their laws? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    Several months Pres. Bush signed HB218 into law. Basically it states that any full time police officer and those retired with at least 15 years service may carry a concealed sidearm anywhere in the U.S., provided they have qualified with the weapon and have been issued a card stating such.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But not for chicago officers that are retired. Their mayor made up some new rule and screwed them for now.

PJ
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    The "previous" law was whatever was on the state and local books of each state and local government. Some states allowed visiting off-duty officers to carry and some didn't.

I carried anyway, wherever I went. My gun was concealed, and I figured that, if I had to pull it, I would just have to worry about whether it was legal to carry it later.

Curiously, Missouri was one of those states that did not allow off-duty officers from other states to carry. That may have been the law, but it wasn't common practice. We were in St. Louis, and about to go up in the Gateway Arch. I saw there was a metal detector. I showed my ID to the security officer, and he handed me a sign-in sheet. I wrote down my name, department, etc. I noticed there were a lot of names of Texas officers on the page above mine. We were all carrying "illegally."
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I used to do like Nunn did, carry anyway and worry about it if I had to use it.

Georgia has a concealed carry permit. Retired officers are given one free. But since Pres. Bush signed the new law, my retired LEO ID works the same.

Here's a LEAA's site that has the law listed and explains it.

http://www.leaa.org/218/

Funny, while looking for the law, I ran across a site that listed how different states treat officers on and off duty. Guess I was breaking the law in Virginia back in '99 when I was up there working a murder case. Virginia State Police didn't say anything about it though!
  • Options
    Stylishxone767Stylishxone767 Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So with this new law, no one see's a problem carrying off duty?
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CHGOTHNDER
    But not for chicago officers that are retired. Their mayor made up some new rule and screwed them for now.

PJ

Chitcago...
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    CHGOTHNDER, what mayoral 'rule' are you referring to? A 'rule' is not law.
  • Options
    N. MichiganN. Michigan Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1

In all my years I've never met a fellow officer who would go out of their way to pursue it either way. I have seen when people become stupid or disrespectful go to jail and their agency notified. As for what others have stated it is great advise[:D]
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    As a retired LEO, I carry everywhere, all the time.

We are flying to Las Vegas tomorrow and under HR 218 I will have a gun in my possession..
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    When I flew to Georgia, I took a pistol. Had to declare it and check it with AA, but I had it on before I left the airport.