In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 27 and 36

drmarquesdrmarques Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have recently aquired these two revolvers due to the death of my father-in-law. He had them in the original boxes with tools, doubt he ever shot them, both are extremely clean and blemish free. I would appreciate any information on values, mfg. dates, desirability of ownership, pros & cons of the models, etc...I'm thinking of using the Model 36 for CCW until I decide on a semi-auto (any suggestions).

Model 36 - #236xxx (.38 special,5-shot,fixed sights,Chief's Special on box) has a 2" barrel.
Model 27 - #S218xxx (.357 mag,6-shot,adj. sights) has a 3.5" barrel.
Both are blued, both have original S&W wood grips.

Thank you all for any input.
drmarques

Comments

• Options
    CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3.5 " Model 27's are pretty highly sought after. One in the box like that will probably go for around $800-900.
  • Options
    300300 Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 36 - #236xxx (.38 special,5-shot,fixed sights,Chief's Special on box) has a 2" barrel.
    Model 27 - #S218xxx (.357 mag,6-shot,adj. sights) has a 3.5" barrel.
    Both are blued, both have original S&W wood grips.

Thank you all for any input.
    drmarques
    [/quote]

Both date around 1960-1 and should have diamond panel grips (27 may have the larger target grips). Based on the condition you mention and since they have the original boxes, tools (and papers?):
    in mint condition the 36 would be worth around $350 retail, $280 to a dealer; the 27 might go for upwards of $475 retail, $375 to a dealer. The 27 is definitely the one to put on auction for maximum value. Just make sure you don't put any marks on the 36 if you carry it as the value will go down quickly -- condition is really important for most collectors and they will pay accordingly. Both of them are keepers, especially the 27!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quikdraw67
    I think the 27 could go higher than 300 posted

do yourself a favor and get a modern S&W (like a 442) for carry. The 36 with box tools and papers will be better off in not carried condition

Keep them!

And probably would go much higer if condition is mint -- and if it is a four screw it would bring about $100 over a comparable 3 screw (27-2) -- main thing is condition. That slight scratch, chip in the grip or discoloration in the blue make all the difference, although I see that someone bid $599 for a refinished 27 now on auction so maybe I am a little behind with my prices...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

And probably would go much higer if condition is mint -- and if it is a four screw it would bring about $100 over a comparable 3 screw (27-2) -- main thing is condition. That slight scratch, chip in the grip or discoloration in the blue make all the difference, although I see that someone bid $599 for a refinished 27 now on auction so maybe I am a little behind with my prices...
    [/quote]

Can you explain the 3-screw v. 4-screw? What model would a 4-screw be? 27-? Is this a K or N frame?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Can you explain the 3-screw v. 4-screw? What model would a 4-screw be? 27-? Is this a K or N frame?"

First it is an N frame -- as to number of screws, this is general and varies by model, but the number of screws refers to those screws holding the sideplate to the frame plus a screw in the frame at the front of the trigger guard. Older Smiths sometimes had four screws holding the sideplate on plus the one in the frame in front of the trigger guard for a total of five screws. In the early/mid 50s the screw at the top of the sideplate was discontinued leaving a total of four screws, and then in the late 50s early 60s the screw in front of the trigger guard was discontinued leaving a total of three screws.
    If yours has the screw in front of the trigger guard it is a four screw and should be a 27 or 27-1. If it doesn't have that screw it is 27-2 and probably was manufactured 1961 or later. The earlier five and four screw Smiths are more sought after and consequently bring a higher price in similar conditon. This is all general but should be close...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's there, but it only has "MOD-27", no -1 or otherwise. It does however have the 4th screw infront of the trigger guard. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Model 27 is a 27-1 it was made about 1960. If it is a 27-2 it was made about 1961. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson says a four screw (27-1) NIB (New In Box) is worth $500 and in excellent condition $400. The three screw model (27-2) is worth $450 NIB and $400 in excellent condition. The Blue Book of Gun Values, 25th Anniversary Edition says the Model 27 (3-1/2 inch barrel) in 100% condition is worth $425 (add 10% for pinned barrel) and in 98% condition is worth $365 (add 10% for pinned barrel). Yours is a pinned barrel. I would not sell it for that, but that's what the books say.

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson says the Model 36 NIB is worth $375 and in excellent condition $300. The Blue Book of Gun Values, 25th Anniversary Edition says in 100% condition it's worth $410 and 98% condition is worth $320. Again, I would not sell it for that, but that's what the books say.

If you need a CCW gun, in my opinion, you'll have a hard time finding a better one than the S&W model 36. I'd keep them both, but that's your call. If you want to sell the Model 27 for near book price, let me know.

SW60.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model number changed from 27 to 27-1 in 1961. That means it was manufactured before 1961. S Serial Prefix, N Frame Postwar number range 1960-1961 is S207000-S219999. Judging from this, I would say it was made in 1960.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.