In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 ammo

cannibuscannibus Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
Seemed to make sense that I start a fresh thread on this topic. I'm learning that there are apparently three types of .223 ammo. The civilian load, called .223 Remington, the military load, the 5.56mm used in the M-16 and it's descendants, and another one that is called something like .223 Winchester magnum. I gather that the latter is apparently a different round and is NOT interchangeable with the first two. But I also am learning that, while you can shoot the civilian rounds in a rifle chambered for the military cartridge, the reverse is not adviseable due to the greater pressures of the 5.56 round. But the military rounds are what make shooting the .223 caliber so much more economical. That being the case, what should you look for when buying a .223 rifle to make sure you can shoot both the military and the civilian rounds?

Comments