In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22a is gone!

tennbucktennbuck Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
i couldn't get my 22a to consistently cycle "any" ammo. took it back to the shop so they could check it out. 4 days later they called and said they didn't know what was wrong with it, that they were going to send it back to S&W. i could order another just like it or come by and pick something else out. [:D]
so i got me a Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" bull barrel. the ultra dot is on the way. very, very solid and tight gun.
msewq8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had a problem cycling with mine. I did have to have the slide replaced becuase the slide lock was mushrooming the slide where it locked. As far as I'm concerned, it was a tack driver.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    You won't ever regret anything in the Ruger Mark series!
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Ruger pistol, MKIII512, and mounted a TruGlo red dot. Took it out to the range and was very happy with the performance! I shot at a 5" diameter shoot-n-c target and kept 50 rounds in the black at 50 yards! (shooting on a rest from the bench)
    The pistol cycled flawlessly thru out an afternoon of shooting, I think you made a wise choice going with a Ruger over the 22A.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got nothing but good to say about my Ruger 22/45. I have the 8 inch slab side bbl, but thankfully without the 'Great Eight' marking on the barrel. Once I found the best ammo for it and adjusted the sights, I enjoy it often.

I have been told I clean my guns 'too much'. When I hooked up with a couple of guys to shoot 22 rifles together, they swore that they never cleaned their rifles unless or until they failed to function or a loss in accuracy was noted.

I may just have to do that with this pistol though. Re-assembly is tricky for me for this pistol. My hard head will make me master it though, I am sure. SO if you have trouble re-assembling this jewel, you are not alone.

ENJOY !
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 22a just broke. . .annoying.

While it worked, it would cycle EVERYTHING, with the single exception of PMC "targetmaster", which is the weakest non-reduced power .22 I know. (It would either stovepipe or FTE this ammo about 1/3 of the time).

I do like the gun on account of its lightness, easy ability to put a dot sight on it, and easy takedown, but now I'm wishing I got a 22/45 instead!

EDIT: Response to Bobski, below:

Bob: Gun isn't plastic at all except for the grips (which are rubber). Its an alloy frame and slide. That's what makes it so nice and light. It has a steel barrel, mag, and other parts that count. I got it used really cheap, so figured it was worth a try.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bean...shame on you wasting money on a 22a.
    you should have known better. half that gun is plastic![:0]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got tired of clearing jams and ftfs with my 22a and unloaded it for a mkIII hunter. Been happy as a pig in $h1t ever since. Congratulations on your wise choice.

Oh, the guy that bought the 22a from me (sold it for $100), he hates it too!
  • Options
    tennbucktennbuck Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like the ultra dot. i zeroed it in @ 50 ft. it started to sprinkle. so i ran the target out to 50 yards. fired 7 shots off pretty quick. i was about 1.5" high and 2" right. but, i could cover all 7 shots with my fist.

n2y91z.jpg