In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kahr K9 old trigger vs ny trigger.

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
I was looking a Kahrs website and I noticed that all of their K9's now have an NYPD spec trigger pull.

Anyone felt the difference between the two. Was the trigger pull better before?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong but I seem to recall reading recently that the requirement for NYPD handuns is a 10-pound pull. If that's the case, I'll pass on Kahr.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should point out that a 10 pound pull is actually not bad at all, **IF** its smooth and even, kind of like a DA revolver.

Whether or not you like it is a matter of personal preference. To some extent you trade off safety against accidental "startle" discharge versus accuracy.
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an MK40 a few years ago. What I noticed was that the trigger pull was smooth and consistent which makes it feel lighter than it is. However, after shooting a number of rounds, you start to notice the pull as if you had been working out with weights or something.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hope they didn't do the same thing to the T9's. New york sucks :(
  • Options
    Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NYC police administrators believe the safest gun is one that isn't fired. I would think a 100 pound trigger pull would make their service weapons even safer yet! Maybe next, they will require a magazine safety so the guns won't shoot with the mag in place...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ROFL or how about a key or combination lock trigger guard and s new special holster to hold the gun with the trigger lock. The after the officer draws his gun from 5 retention thumb print/dna sample holster, he must then enter a 4 key combination on his key pouch to remove the physical key that he can then insert into and remove the trigger lock mechanizm off the gun. Then he can load his gun and fire one rubber bullet after getting physical permission from the chief of police, signed and written permission from the judge, and permission from a insurance claims adjuster... And the trigger pull is 32lbs and about 2 inch pull length...
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk all you want about the rules of gun safety, but the fact is, people break them day in and day out.

The point is this, with your finger on the trigger, and the gun pointed at a perp any loud noise can cause a "startle" reaction that may cause you to pull the trigger.

Heavy trigger pull helps prevent this. It also prevents small children from firing a gun, and somewhat slows down people who aren't used to firing guns DA from shooting it.

Personally, I actually LIKE a 10 pound DA-like trigger for a carry gun without a safety. (Wouldnt like it for range or hunting. . .wouldnt necessarily recommend it for everyone). But if you dont like it, its probably NOT a big deal to have the action switched to a lighter pull if you want it done.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats a myth beantownshootah. The FACT is your finger does not touch that trigger until you are ready to squeeze it. When you finger touches the trigger it should be discharging the firearm. That is pretty much standard teachings at firearms schools and police acadamies around the world. And it does not prevent children from pulling it. Keeping the gun out of the kids hand will prevent him from pulling it. Where theres a will, theres a way. I myself recall being a child and being able to pull the trigger on my dads S&W revolver from full da position. It was hard, but I did it. I agree that a hair trigger probably isn't the safest, but I think that a 10lb da pull is excessive. I prefer the 4.5lb pull my glock currently has. I think it started life at 5 lbs, but its been well broken in.