In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223/5.56

airbornerizzairbornerizz Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
I was looking for info on the experts forum and didn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm buying a c93 which takes 5.56 ammo and was wondering if it will then also take .223? I saw on the dpms page that their .223 rifle will only take .223, but their5.56 rifle will take both.

Comments

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any rifle chambered in 5.56 will shoot .223 safely. The 5.56 for the most part has a higher chamber pressure then the .223. Some will say never shoot 5.56 in a chamber designed for .223. Its debatable a steady diet of 5.56 in a .223 chamber is not recommended. How ever in limited use its okay. IMHO I have never seen a firearm that was designed to shoot .223 blow up because 5.56 ammo was used in it. I have used 5.56 ammo in a .223 gun on occasion and many others here have as well.

As far as DPMS goes their just trying to cover their *. Hand loaded ammo will void their warranty as well as any other manufacturers if they even have one.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This same topic is revisited on this and every other gun forum monthly.

As Armilite noted, nothing is going to happen to either you or your rifle. From either firing original factory ammo that is marked .223 or 5.56 X 45.

Your more apt to have problems from the C93 unless it's a original H & K. Some of the manufacturers who have made replicas over the years have been deficient as far as materials used and workmanship.