In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Original Sharps Carbine TWO questions.

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello I recently bought & received a Sharps model 1863 "new model" serial C,739. all the parts cleaned up and it looks to be in working condition albeit. It has a smooth bore half octagon half round that is smooth bore with Belgium ELG inside an oval. I think Bannermans did some of these conversions. One of my two questions is The breach block is Percussion with a flash hole in what would be bore center-line. How did the original percussion work with a breach loading original rifle cartridge and could I use some kind of cartridge or just load like a muzzle loading shotgun leaving the breach closed. The second question is "DOES/DID" anyone make a conversion Kit to install new center-fire Breach block and hammer as well with chambered & rifled barrel. Over all after cleaning with Kroil the gun locks up very tight and IMHO does not look dangerous to Fire. I would really like to convert this to a Sharps single shot rifle To go with my Remington Hepburn and Sharps-Borchardt . Thanks for any suggestions.
EDIT Thanks Traps. Do you know if anyone still sells the conversion units and Barrels .

EDIT # 2 Thanks again Trap 55 and cbyerly. I sent both a personal email it is for sure an original Sharps I can send personal email attached pictures my web hosting site is down so can't post on gunbroker.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original Sharps percussion rifles/carbines used nitrated/linen cartridges. The front of the breech block cut off the rear of the cartridge, exposing the BP to the percussion cap.

I believe their instructions on-line for making Sharps cartridges.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The breech block, and hammer were swapped out for the conversion. Here's a pic of the firing pin. The upper left back of it has an angled flat where the hammer struck.
    I believe some have done this conversion using the IAB 1863 conversion. You'll need a new barrel, and extractor too. Headspace is set by barrel depth into the receiver, then the extractor cut is made.

smithfp1.jpg

Dixie had some barrels and other parts, I think the barrels were in 45/90. You might try IAB's website too, as well as Numrich, Axtell, and Shiloh.
    I think I still have a "in the white" C.Sharps hammer around here somewhere. I'll take a look for you.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big conversion. Unless you can find a cartridge firing breechblock,the easiest conversion to a rifle would be to bore and sleeve the existing barrel to a rifle caliber. One of the Sharps 40's, only in percussion might be nice.
    The 1863 has a tight fitting plate in the breechblock that is driven forward on firing, sealing the barrel/breechblock joint.
    The barrel has a press fit sleeve in the chamber end which is chambered to prevent a ball or paper/skin cartridge from working forward.
    The 1863 can shoot either combustible cartridges or loose powder and bullet or ball.
    I had a large rimfire Sharps conversion years ago. I don't think you want a RF breechblock.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is highly likely that it is a Belgian made copy, not a Bannerman gun. There is no evidence that Bannerman used european parts on their U. S. guns. There are also numerous Belgian made copies of the Spencer Carbine. These have the ELG marking also. It is unlikely that any US made sharps parts will readily interchange to convert it. You have a very expensive project before you if you want to restore it to a shootable center fire.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:It has a smooth bore half octagon half round that is smooth bore with Belgium ELG inside an oval.
    A lot of these were converted to CF sporting rifles after the war. A bunch more were converted to smoothbore shotguns, and left as percussion. I've seen two converted to 20ga, no idea when they were done, but it wasn't recent.
    I've never seen one with a Belgian proofed barrel though, so it may well be a Bannerman concoction. With the conversion to smoothbore, I doubt the chamber sleeve is intact.
    Perry Shooter, can you post some pics of the breech block and chamber? I'd like to see what was done.
    And the markings on the side plates!
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    http://www.brcrifles.com/
    Try this website; he does it all! Darn friendly, too.