In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lock Tite II

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
quote:Originally posted by v35

I bought a used Mod 70 243 with a 4x Lupold. For my needs this caliber warrants a higher magnification, variable power scope.
Not one single screw on the rings will move and the front ring wont turn on the Redfield style Leupold mount.
I haven't worked up enough nerve yet to start applying heat but that's the only solution.
Loctite really secures threaded parts so you should be sure you need a permanent assembly.

I just saw this and will add my $.02. I sometimes have toluol(toluolene) on hand to loosen up the blue locktite. It works on the red locktite as well just not as fast or as much. But it will allow you to start loosening screws.
The thing you have to remember about both of them is they are a plastic that gets a mechanical hold in the parts they are working within. Therefore, a solid, clean attachment from tool to fastener will break loose because it's softer than the metal. Same with Epoxy. At least if it's steel parts you are working with. It's not like some chemical adhesives that actually form a chemical bond from surface to surface of the two parts. If there is something there that did that you are going to have to sacrifice something (screws for sure, rings...maybe?) I know some types of JB weld will do that to aluminum. If that was used on aluminum rings then you've got a bad deal going.

ADDED:

quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham
Acetone will loosen up Loc-Tite but getting down into the threads might be a problem. If the rings are tapped all the way through you might get the acetone to wick into the treads there. I have herd that a lot of people use automatic transmission fluid and acetone mixture to make penetrating oil and the acetone is the wicking agent that carries the oil into the threads. You can use nail polish to lock threads, it can be used on anything you put together and the price is right!

Emmett

Skydrol cleans that stuff right out...if you can stand it. Amazingly, (I don't believe it) it's not toxic.

Comments

• Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you DO have to use heat, try a hot air paint stripping gun instead of a torch. It will get pretty dang hot, but not as hot as the torch.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DO NOT USE A TORCH!!!!!
    Use a soldering iron held against the screw head. Don't have a soldering iron? Sacrifice a cheap screwdriver-heat it on the kitchen stove or propane torch and hold on screw head. Grind a tip on a bolt to heat and hold against screw head.
    DO NOT USE A TORCH!!!!!!
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    DO NOT USE A TORCH!!!!!
    Use a soldering iron held against the screw head. Don't have a soldering iron? Sacrifice a cheap screwdriver-heat it on the kitchen stove or propane torch and hold on screw head. Grind a tip on a bolt to heat and hold against screw head.
    DO NOT USE A TORCH!!!!!!

+1 Works every time.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back to Wicking Loctite, it's true about having surfaces clean enough for it to do its job. In the case I described in the Loctite thread, it was impossible to access the thread surfaces - the reason for the Wicking Loctite. It was loose enough that I could flow in a couple different solvents to remove oil and I then heated it enough to burn out anything likely to be residual. Then I uaed the product.

Of interest, I ordered the stuff off eBay and it came in its little squeeze bottle - with no instructions. I went to the Loctite website for it. Good thing I did because there are important specifcs. I recco anyone serious about the various Loctite types go to the website. A huge amount of info there.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue a good chance of removal with no damage

Red somewhat of a chance of removal, tho probably lots of
    profanity and damaged screw head and ego

Green Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. Most likely will
    destroy some or all of parts
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are different grades of each color Loc Tite. I use all three colors, Blue, Green, and Red for different applications, not only in my line of work, but also in gunsmithing.

With the Red being the highest tensile strength, followed by the green, then the blue. A short 5-10 second burst with a propane torch will eliminate the grip of red loctite. It is no big deal to use a torch, but if you can get by with lesser items, and a little more time, then dio it your way. I just prefer the quick on, and off heat, to lessen the chance of heat transfer to other valuable parts. The carbon wipes right off too.

The blue and green adheasives will come loose with a WELL fitted too. When I say well fitted, I don't mean TASCO rings, or bases, in conjunction with the allen wrench they supply. More like a t20, and a good fitting wrench to match.

Best
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Acetone will loosen up Loc-Tite but getting down into the threads might be a problem. If the rings are tapped all the way through you might get the acetone to wick into the treads there. I have herd that a lot of people use automatic transmission fluid and acetone mixture to make penetrating oil and the acetone is the wicking agent that carries the oil into the threads. You can use nail polish to lock threads, it can be used on anything you put together and the price is right!

Emmett