In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Attaching new bolt handle

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
In the latest issue of "The Varmint Hunter", there was an article about a gentleman building a rifle on a 98 Mauser and he sent his bolt and a new handle to "the bolt man", James Robert, Paxton, MA. He gave no further address. Anybody heard of him? Years ago, I took a military Mannlicher Schoenauer action to a guy who called himself a gunsmith to have a new handle attached. After a few shots the handle broke off. Every time I run across that rifle it irritates me. I'd like get it going again.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOOGLE, "the bolt man", his site comes up at the top of the list. He does M-S bolts.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just in case you want to do it yourself. Proper flux for the high temp silver solder is key. On my 600 Rem aleignment of the camming surface is important. Find a bolt to thread into firing pin assembly hole, the red heat to solder with will make it easy to crush that hole out of round (ask me how I know) with the clamp holding handle to bolt. Good wet rag to keep heat away from bolt lugs.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really want to do it your self, I'll put this kit up on auction for you....starting at only $10. [:D]
    1001189hx.jpg
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a "heat sink" and heat absorbing paste both available from Brownells and Midway. Cutting is done with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Welding is done with a MIG welder using 0.030 wire and 100% CO2 since I don't have a TIG setup at this time. Getting the angle right is the tricky part and even with a jig, sometimes I'm not 100% satisfied with the results. Guys that do this job all the time will give you a better product than the guy who does one a month or one a year. I've had to "do over" several that someone had buggered up and the redo can be tricky depending on how bad it was messed up originally. One I find particularly enjoyable is made using a real "bolt handle"-yes, it's a real bolt rounded off a little that is on an old beater Mauser.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

This is his host site:

http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/bolt...he-boltman?i=0

Be aware that the 'Angelfire' web hosting will force you into a dozen Pop-Ups with every keystroke.

Also be aware that he can do an acceptable job of replacing your bolt handle as long as the stub containing the cam angle is still intact. If for some reason this is missing or damaged, you will need someone with much better capabilities.

Best.