In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 revolver for small hands

Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm wanting to get my 8 year old a .22 revolver. What is a nice little .22 for small hands? His sister has a Bearcat and it's just right for her, but would like a different model so they have some variety. I want a quality piece that will be handed down over the generations. Either SA or DA. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kit gun 22/32 comes to mind.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Yes, model 63 S&W which is stainless, or the model 34 which is blue.
    The best money you'll ever spend on a 22 revolver for someone of small stature.
    W.D.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that S & W only make 22 cal, super expensive snubbies now. Probably you would be better off to get your daughter a used 34 with a 4" barrel. A new shooter would be better off with a longer barrel, like your other daughters Bearcat.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Yes, model 63 S&W which is stainless, or the model 34 which is blue.
    The best money you'll ever spend on a 22 revolver for someone of small stature.
    W.D.

Yep, real classics- especially the model 34.. I started my daughter at age 4 with a 2" model 63, and later gave her a 4" model 34.. Like Rufe said, the 4" is a better choice.. They'll never outgrow them.. She 26 now, and the model 34 is still her favorite revolver ..
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've had a 4" model 63 for 32 years, bought it new.
    W.D.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although they don't know it yet, my grand kids have a Bearcat & a 4" M63 sitting in their mom's safe. She will decide when they are proficient enough with a long gun to be trusted with them.

Keep in mind, the Old Model Bearcat has the same safety problem as other "pre-safety" single actions. I prefer to postpone handguns until kids are at least 11-12, as the small size makes it more difficult for the mentor to maintain control of the gun.

I had a gunsmith smooth the action of the M63 & install Woolf springs & a wide trigger; that made a big difference.

Neal
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, as mentioned, look for a good used Model 63, 34, oor a Ruger Bearcat. Theere are two more real good options right now too. That Ruger SP-101 with the 4.2 inch barrel, and S&W also makes the 63 in an 8 shot model 63, with like a 4 or 5 inch barrel. I got one of the new Ruger SP-101's and love it.

Best
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

+1 This series in either 2" or 4" barrel are as smooth as a hot knife through butter. A used one from the pre mim parts days will appreciate as time goes on. One from the '70's would be fine.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bartman45
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

+1 This series in either 2" or 4" barrel are as smooth as a hot knife through butter. A used one from the pre mim parts days will appreciate as time goes on. One from the '70's would be fine.

The problem is that they've ALREADY appreciated a lot! I think if you can find one for under $500, you've done pretty well.

In general, I agree with the above advice.

Best small frame double-action .22 is unequivocally the Smith and Wesson, and for a young shooter, you'd want a 4" barrel, or maybe a 6" as a second choice. 2" snubnose is simply too short.

Which models?

"22/32", 34, 35, 63 are the ones that come to mind.

If you can find one made before the 1960s (and some ARE out there), its a C&R, too, which is nice.

The current rendition of the model 63 is good, but its spendy and has a relatively short 3" barrel, and I think you'd be better off with an older one, if you can find one.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about another .22 for my purchase and you might want to look at it too for your daughter. Ruger has come out with a .22 like their LCR which I really like. I am thinking that I would buy it and my gdaughter could use it and then grad up to the LCR in .38 later. All the other pistols mentioned are vgood also but you might want to look at the new Ruger also...just sayin'[:)]