In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Building an AR-15 upper parts selection

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
Ive got a Rock River Arms upper that Im going to build into a 300 Blackout. Do you worry about finish color of the parts that you use. Since its a RRA receiver should I use a RRA free float handgard, delta ring, gas block, etc. so that the finishes match? Can you mix and match parts companies and have it look right. Thanks, Steve G.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    steve45,

What you need to pay attention to is parts compatibility not color or finish. It is vastly more important that the parts function as they are meant to in the combination you choose.

Then when you have the platform built the way you need or want it, you simply go to someone who can apply Cerakote (NIC Industries). They will disassemble the rifle and bead blast the parts then apply and bake the parts, re-assembling upon finishing. The array of colors is huge but don't forget that you can also get camo patterns albeit at an increase in time and cost.

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the best AR's are mixed parts mongrels, taking the best from everybody. If you want matching, buy the upper, and lower recievers from the same company, as well as the handgard, along with their hardware to install the handgard.

You can mix and match companies, and thenif you want matching colors, refinish them, or have them professionally refinished in the color of your choice. Cerakote is the finish of coice these days.

As has been pointed out, it is better to concentrate your efforts on a functional build, then refinish. If you have never built an upper, please remember, these are not just plug-n-play, and have to be properly headspaced. This can be done with the proper headspace, go, and no-go gauges after you install the barrel extension, befor asembling the barrel to the upper.

Best

EDIT 1

OH...BTW...irregularities in the finnish texture, and shades, can come from the same manufacturer. So buying both the upper and lower, from the same mfg., does not guarantee you will have matching colors on anything.

Best
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got stripped Franklin Armory receivers for my builds. I know "FA" makes .450 Bushmaster uppers which I thought about using one for the .458 SOCOM upper build but they won't sell me one. I know the color would match but if that's the only thing then I don't think it's worth it.

I got one built with Bushmaster Varminter upper and the finish with "FA" is close enough. Also the fit with "FA" to "BM" is good. Then again "FA" does have that "slop screw" to make the receiver to upper fit tight. I think they could've used a thicker screw but I could do that if/when the thin one fails.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the comment about your concern over parts matching. If you really care that it looks right, buy a complete upper or plan to spring for a complete refinish job when assembled. I've swapped a couple of upper rcvrs to get the flattop I wanted and even though they look similar on the bench, when assembled there will be the chance of some slight difference in color or finish smoothness.