In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x39 AR

magicmanml2magicmanml2 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
Alright looking at possibly building a AR in this caliber. But not sure of the components differences. I know of the caliber variations, barrel, bolt face, extractor etc. need to know, will a standard gas tube and gas block work, buffer assembly and such.

Comments

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just finished building one. Only items that are different, you will need a bolt head,barrel, & magazine. You may want to consider trimming .010" off the rear of the bolt to allow for better primer strikes. Some 7.62 primers are seated deeper than the .223.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built one a year ago last summer and I'll ditto what clays said ... especially the trimming of the back of the bolt ... I had lots of what looked like good primer strikes that Failed to Fire. I measured the depth and compared it to the depth of an AK primer strike and although it looked good to the nekid eye, it was too shallow.

One other word of caution, I wanted to use a flat-top upper receiver so I could have the option of using a scope or red dot ... however when I used the sight in the carry handle I was shooting 6-7" high with the rear sight bottomed out ... I did find a Colt front sight post at Brownells that was .04" taller than standard but it still wasn't enough ... I changed to a fixed carry handle and the problem was cured.

Here's mine ...

PC020011.jpg
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Just buy the new Rock River that uses AK mags.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reliable mags at descent prices are a drawback. I tried my standard 20 round AR 15 mag, it would only take 4 rounds of 7.63 X 39. There are a number of U.S. based firms making "Banana" mags as in KK's photo. To get some that are totally reliable might be spendy. If you just want it a a fun gun blaster, wouldn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference though.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought CProducts magazines for my 7.62X39 AR and they work perfectly. I found there were alot of vendors saying "the X39 works fine in 6.8 magazines" and it just isn't so.

The X39 seems to have a few points going against it it the AR platform but accuracy shouldn't be one of them. I have a CZ 527 in X39 and it is every bit as accurate as any 223, especially with good handloads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks fella's, when you say trim the bolt, are you talking about the bolt face, so the firing pin comes out further?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by magicmanml2
    thanks fella's, when you say trim the bolt, are you talking about the bolt face, so the firing pin comes out further?

You definitely don't want to remove material from the face of the bolt. This could cause serious headspace problems, that could lead to catastrophic failure and personal injury.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not the face, the back of the bolt where the firing pin stop contacts it.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a brand new Oly 7.62x39 upper ready to shoot. Cleaned it up and lubed it yesterday and today it's raining and windy. Well POOP.
    Anyway, I noticed it seened to have been test fired(numerous times by the appearance of the bolt face)with lacquer coated primer ammo. I would say some sort of steel cased European stuff. Took a lot of soaking to remove the residue from the bolt face. I'm going to start it off with some brass cased economy grade ammo and then try some proven handloads and some Hornady SST ammo for accuracy.
    The C-products mags have worked OK for me but I just haven't shot the C0lt 7.62 AR that I traded for the new Oly all that much. I also have some plastic 10 rounders for bench shooting and hunting that feed fine but often fail to activate the bolt lock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LMAO, now i feel like a dumba**, I reread the post and saw trim the rear of the bolt. damn dyslexia, thanks for the info.