In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rifle accuracy ??

tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a varmint heavy barrel rifle in 22-250 with a 26" barrel. All I use it for is a coyote/varmint pickup gun. It is just to long for what I use it for and I am considering having the barrel shortened and re-crowned. I am concerned that I will loose alot of accuracy. Has anyone done this, would greatly appreciate feedback on the accuracy. and what length you cut it down to. thank you.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No magic to the accuracy based on barrel length (unless you are using irons in which case increased sight radius will help with more precise aiming).

But... when you trim a barrel, you are changing the harmonics, and the effect of that can vary. Trim 1 inch, and accuracy may go out the window, trim 1.1 inches and it can get better. No rhyme or reason...
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a very general statement, HB rifles are somewhat less quirky about barrel length since there is less barrel vibration/whip while the bullet is in the barrel. Harmonics are dampened by the thickness. In thinner barrels, often accuracy is improved by shortening.
    For about twice(maybe not even that much more) the price of a "good" shortening job, you can own a Howa 20" HB and leave your current rifle @26" for longer range use. Shortening will involve removing the barrel unless your chosen smith has some exceptional tooling.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My truck rifle is a 94AE Trapper in 44 R Mag. 16 inch tube fits between seat and cab, truck shotgun H&R Topper with 20 inch tube same game.

Rather than cut and crown I'd opt for a short new bbl or a new short rifle.
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You say Heavy Varmit, But not what Make, If it is a REMINGTON 700
    the 18" is good for 2" at 250yds.if tne crown and every thing else is correct.
  • Options
    tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is a savage
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Making all other things equal, barrel length has NO effect on accuracy. I would however, make sure you are not cutting down a valuable collectable.

The only to properly cut the barrel, and crown it is to remove the barrel from the action, chuck it up, and indicate it in a GOOD lathe, and do your work then. Anything else will be a compromise on the quality of your crown. As you know...the crown is the last thing on the giving end, that touches a bullet.

Best
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    New savage barrels in the length your looking at will cost the same as the cost of having a gunsmith cut and crown your exsisting barrel, a plus with using a new custom barrel is that, well, you have a new custom barrel from an extreemly accurate manufacture that is renowned for their competition winning barrels. Check out these companies, they offer drop-in Savage barrels:

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/e-r-shaw-custom-barrels.php
    http://www.pac-nor.com/
    http://www.shilen.com/index.html
    http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/

Remember, accuracy has nothing to do with the length of the barrel, the precision that the barrel was made is what matters the most. For an exampe of this all you have to do is look at the majority of competition benchrest rifles, most have barrel lengths in the range of 20". If a 30" tube was more accurate you can guarentee they would be using it. But the truth is that a tube that is 1" in diameter and 20" long is much stiffer than a tube that is 1" in diameter and 30" long.

Mike Bellm ( http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/ ) has stated for years that the easest way to increase the accuracy of a rifle is to shorten it's barrel, there by increasing the stiffness of the tube. Hopefully this helps and good luck with your project
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooters Supply, (763) 682-4296, He has full chambered, true 'drop-in' Savage barrels in both Shilen and Criterion. I have a Shilen. But the last time I talked to Jim he said he started selling the Criterion barrels and they are outstanding! Jim will steer you right.

There is also, www.bugholes.com who stocks a lot of barrels. But they are blanks most of the time. I understand he has stocked Savage 'drop-in' barrels.
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go this route then you nust also have it HEAD SPACED.

quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Contact Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooters Supply, (763) 682-4296, He has full chambered, true 'drop-in' Savage barrels in both Shilen and Criterion. I have a Shilen. But the last time I talked to Jim he said he started selling the Criterion barrels and they are outstanding! Jim will steer you right.

There is also, www.bugholes.com who stocks a lot of barrels. But they are blanks most of the time. I understand he has stocked Savage 'drop-in' barrels.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most accurate barrel I had was a 19" Bullberry Encore in 6BR.