In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

iver johnson top break

jethro75jethro75 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
My dad just gave me one of these, top break , single release. With a hammer. I know these arent the greatest pieces but this was my great grandfathers. So I feel like I want to do something with it to maybe shoot it again. One problem is that he started to tinker with it and he sleeved the cylinder to 22. The barrel is still 32 so it will need a liner. Its not the greatest shape. Its also missing the grips, which are easy to find. Just wanted some opinions, am I crazy to put any time or money into this?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go for it. Back in the 30's my dad converted an owl head 32 or 38, I don't remember which or that it was a top break. He made the chamber inserts with a file and a egg beater hand drill. I think his brother used a lathe to fit a section of rifle barrel. Anyway the pistol would out shoot lots nicer Smiths and Colts of the day.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crazy? No. Crazy to try to change it to .22? Maybe. Has the hammer been changed to strike the rim of a .22 cartridge?

I would be prone to get a .32 S&W cylinder, and put it back to .32. Are they valuable? To the guy that has his great granddad's revolver- priceless.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A barrel liner would be simple, and a bigger challenge would be converting the frame mounted firing pin these had to strike off center.

As a family heirloom I'd remove the cylinder sleeves if possible and return it to original configuration.
    If the sleeves can't be removed, Numrich has a replacement cylinder, and also the missing grips:
    http://www.littlegun.info/arme suisse/arme ordonnance/a fusil infanterie 1842 gb.htm

If "single release" means it has a button top left rear instead of the more common T-shaped latch, it's an antique black powder model.
  • Options
    jethro75jethro75 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. The release is only on the left. It is not the t shaped one. This does not have any letter prefixes in the s/n. 802xx. And I didnt see any letters where the grip panels go. So I assume it's fairly old.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jethro75
    Yes. The release is only on the left. It is not the t shaped one. This does not have any letter prefixes in the s/n. 802xx. And I didnt see any letters where the grip panels go. So I assume it's fairly old.

Made 1894 if cylinder held by a catch or 1895 if held by threads.